Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2012, 12:57 AM
Top Prospect

I would make absolutely sure that the bios is set to AHCI.

Because if it isn't you could get that sort of problem where it fails right after a big program change, or video driver update, etc.
Old July 8, 2012, 07:55 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Stick with Intel if you are buying SSD, my $0.02.

Old July 8, 2012, 08:37 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippWhapp View Post
Stick with Intel if you are buying SSD, my $0.02.

Six in one...half dozen in the other. Both Intel and Micron (aka 'Crucial') skim off the "cream" of any NAND batch for their own drives. Both have excellent Customer Service. Both are desinged for a variety of environments (toolbox vs excellent ITGC for nontrim environments). IMHO its hard to go wrong with either company. They are both the gold standard upon which ALL mfg'ers should be - and ARE - judged.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 8, 2012, 09:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My board has been set to AHCI by default from day one.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old July 8, 2012, 12:33 PM
Allstar

i really REALLY doubt installing a user space application can damage a storage device....i doubt it could even damage a modern OS.

EDIT: unless OpenOffice runs in kernal space for some reason....
Old July 8, 2012, 12:40 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Installing a piece of software will NOT harm the storage device unless its boot sector virus :P

Installing a peice of software CAN screw up the OS. It would be strage for OO.o to be what did it...but it is possible that it was just the last straw. Of course...it could be wonky ram, unstable OC, etc etc contributing to the OS going bad. Though its probably just a bad SSD. It happens.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 8, 2012, 03:26 PM
Rookie

Weird I have a M4 and it runs great. Scary thread to read. 2 ssd's on one system might be a issue with system itself causing this.