Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   SSD as Permanent Storage ? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/55249-ssd-permanent-storage.html)

Malam July 5, 2012 08:43 AM

SSD as Permanent Storage ?

I currently have my Photos backed-up on a WD External Drive. This backup is separate from my system back-up. I am wondering if there is any advantage in using an SSD for the photos backup since they don't have any moving parts and can't get damaged easily from shock. Is this a good idea ? Thanks.

Pabz0r545 July 5, 2012 09:08 AM

I think a USB stick would be more affordable. :)

But hey if you got the money go ahead. Or have you ever thought about something like this?

ADATA SH93 500GB Waterproof and Shock Resistance 2.5IN External USB 2.0 HDD - Yellow - AData Technology - ASH93-500GU-CYL

ADATA DashDrive Durable HD710 Review - TheTechSource.Tv- YouTube

Malam July 5, 2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 (Post 639683)
I think a USB stick would be more affordable. :)

But hey if you got the money go ahead. Or have you ever thought about something like this?

ADATA SH93 500GB Waterproof and Shock Resistance 2.5IN External USB 2.0 HDD - Yellow - AData Technology - ASH93-500GU-CYL

ADATA DashDrive Durable HD710 Review - TheTechSource.Tv- YouTube

Thanks, I will take a look at these too. Will also check into protective cases for hard drives.

Arinoth July 5, 2012 09:31 AM

You could also use a SD Card as well. My father does that with any important pictures and I'm doing it with back up folder of my important files on my server (double redundancy)

Malam July 5, 2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 639705)
You could also use a SD Card as well. My father does that with any important pictures and I'm doing it with back up folder of my important files on my server (double redundancy)

I shoot Raw images and they are very large files. At the moment, I have close to 1 T of photos ! This is why I am looking at different solutions.
Thanks.

redline July 6, 2012 04:59 PM

Personally, I wouldn't trust an SSD for permanent storage just yet. Aside from the lack of robust recovery options in the event of a failure, I've read that data corruption/loss can start occurring if the SSD hasn't been powered on for as little as several months.

HDDs in a rugged case can handle significant shock when not in active operation (ie there shouldn't be an issue during transport); the technology is mature and there's less risk of total data loss; and of course there's the advantage of much higher storage capacity and lower cost.

Supergrover July 6, 2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malam (Post 639897)
I shoot Raw images and they are very large files. At the moment, I have close to 1 T of photos ! This is why I am looking at different solutions.
Thanks.

While I am not using RAW formats I do have over 1TB of images and older Cam vids from pre digital sources and have lost data due to a HW failure (still get bitched out from the wife over that ) and went to a raid mirror setup for all my data storage that matters. Stored on a mirror and that mirror gets backed up every second week to a usb drive I only turn on every second sunday ( it backs up Sunday night)

frontier204 July 6, 2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malam (Post 639673)
backup since they ... can't get damaged easily from shock.

May I ask where you plan to store those backups? :haha: Seagate's laptop hard drives are rated for 350g operating shock and 1000g non-operating shock, both of which would probably turn you into a mushy pile of meat if you got exposed to such a thing...
Momentus Laptop | Seagate

1TB of SSD will cost you $700-1000 depending on your choice of drive.

For the same price, you can get approximately 8-10 1TB 3.5" on-sale mechanical drives. Unless you plan on keeping your backups on an off-road vehicle or similar, it will be a lot more likely for your 1 SSD to fail than having the 10 HDDs fail without you being able to recover the data. If you're not doing backups as an extreme sport, then you can get very good reliability by having 2 or more "rotating" backups of your pictures, while making sure that at least one is separate from the other backups and not plugged in.

Arinoth July 7, 2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malam (Post 639897)
Thanks.

I still wouldn't trust an SSD, plus the amount of money you're going to spend to house 1TB will be a ridiculous amount. You're almost better off running a few Hard Drives in Raid 1 or 5 for redundancy.

Pabz0r545 July 7, 2012 09:13 AM

Looks like that ADATA drive is probably your best bet. Did you watch the review video?