Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2012, 07:39 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Popped a SSD in my Core2Duo machine a while back and I got better battery life and lower temps.

That is forgetting about the 40sec Windows load time (vs. over 2 mins on hdd), and near instant app load times.
Fold for team #54196
Old July 2, 2012, 09:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
So this chart just now.... Wow. I wish I held off the purchase of my Crucial M4. like 4 months ago.

SSD Prices Show Steady Decline - Legit Reviews

I know what you mean, I payed over $2/GB for my force 3 240GB when it came out. It drives me crazy since I can get a better drive for about half the amount now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I call it a waste of cash in terms of performance when you see people with low end computers buying them thinking they will gain anything more than faster opening programs and Windows booting in record time. They offer little to no in-game or in-program performance compared to a better CPU or better GFX or better memory.

In my mind, it is like buying a 1000W PSU for a dual core low end system.

When SSD's are selling for $.25/GB or less they will be worth it. Right now they are a cash grab for manufacturers.
While they are still pricey compared to hdd, they are a great means of getting more life out of older machines. People do get programs opening faster, browsers opening faster, faster boot times and yes you can get a better game experience with reduced load times. And lets face it that is pretty much what people do on them. So really getting a ssd is the best upgrade you can make to an existing system IMHO.

Old July 2, 2012, 10:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
While they are still pricey compared to hdd, they are a great means of getting more life out of older machines. People do get programs opening faster, browsers opening faster, faster boot times and yes you can get a better game experience with reduced load times. And lets face it that is pretty much what people do on them. So really getting a ssd is the best upgrade you can make to an existing system IMHO.
But do you really want to pop an SSD into say for example, my work's Pentium 4 with HT systems? I wouldn't. But then the IT doesn't know what they're doing either. I had to do their jobs and clean up their comptuers. If I could have my way, I'd just format every single computer there is. So much virus, garbage programs, redundant files, etc.
Old July 2, 2012, 03:44 PM
Allstar

...SSDs are bad? seriously?

if your CPU is already too fast for the job, getting the CPU has a net effect of 0 (actually, you lose because you wasted money on the CPU).

whereas with an SSD, at least the program opens faster. maybe that doesn't matter to you, but at least it will do SOMETHING.

ps, for the average consumer, they buy the CPU not to make programs run faster, but to reduce interface lag.
Old July 3, 2012, 06:02 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
But do you really want to pop an SSD into say for example, my work's Pentium 4 with HT systems? I wouldn't. But then the IT doesn't know what they're doing either. I had to do their jobs and clean up their comptuers. If I could have my way, I'd just format every single computer there is. So much virus, garbage programs, redundant files, etc.

At the price of about $60 for a cheap SSD I'd give it a try. It's made a huge difference on my Q6600 so I can see some benefit to to a dual core around 2.6-3ghz. It's especially true if the client has no intention of replacing those computers any time soon. Plus if you get them SSD's then they can be reformatted and reinstalled :)

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old July 3, 2012, 12:37 PM
Allstar

Note that repurposeing (ie recycle/reuse) an SSD outside an organization (or even sometimes within depending on department) can pose a definite security risk as it is VERY difficult to clean data of an SSD unless it has been encrypted from initialization.

Now if only HDD prices would drop back to pre-con days ...
Old August 5, 2012, 10:35 PM
Rookie

Any speculated forecast on more drops? I've been holding off to buy one.
Old August 7, 2012, 06:05 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I am thinking that the formal entrance of Samsung into consumer SSD market will trigger a seismic shift, given that Samsung is capable of very lean manufacturing, and the sheer size of the conglomerate means that their SSDs are wholly sourced internally (so there's no real supply issue), leaving them with the margin to crsuh alot of competitors.

I am now thinking that I should hold off my SSD purchase until we see Samsung aggressively price the 830s to $0.65/GB. For the time being, I am of the opinion that someone doing a new build should get a storage HDD (which has been stagnant in price relatively) and live with it until Samsung fire their salvo at everyone else; it'd be total war of attrition.
Old August 7, 2012, 06:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Because a faster storage drive won't help for one FPS or help me manage my PC any better. A 10 year old IDE drive is going to work the exact same in game than any SSD. Sure the SSD will kill it in loading speeds and starting Windows, I don't dispute that. 99% of the people running SSD's still need a mechanical storage drive for keeping everything.

Until prices drop, it makes no sense, unless you have money to burn, to pay so much for so little storage.

I am on the fence with this one. I have one in one of my rigs and I am not seeing any super-duper benefits. Having said that I do not have much on that rig in the way of programs and do not use it all that much. I suspect only the power users will see the benefit. Maybe if I pull it out and use the storage drive I might see the difference, I could be wrong....
Old August 7, 2012, 06:40 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

SSDs are one of those pieces of tech that seamlessly integrate and it is only when you STOP and go back to using a HDD that you notice the difference....and it is BIG. YMMV on this one.

Yes sammy finally getting serious about the consumer market is good for everyone. It was long overdue. BUT dont expect a magic bullet from them. They will lower prices yes. But dont expect to get a 512GB drive for 2bills.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr