Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 21, 2012, 08:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Because a faster storage drive won't help for one FPS or help me manage my PC any better. A 10 year old IDE drive is going to work the exact same in game than any SSD. Sure the SSD will kill it in loading speeds and starting Windows, I don't dispute that. 99% of the people running SSD's still need a mechanical storage drive for keeping everything.

Until prices drop, it makes no sense, unless you have money to burn, to pay so much for so little storage.
Unless you have money to burn, what the hell are you doing with a gaming computer in the first place?

What's the point of buying a GTX670? Or a new i7 processor? These are all parts that will be worth little less than half their price in a year's time, so that's money wasted, right?

People buy SSD's because it's a real upgrade with which you can notice a difference. Load times for games are drastically reduced (think BF3). This can make a difference with actual in-game time when you only have limited time to play.

Or let's say you're doing lots of software changes on your computer that require lots of restarts. Or you're overclocking. A fast reboot time means you can get more done in less time.

NOT money wasted, IMO.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old June 21, 2012, 08:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Because a faster storage drive won't help for one FPS or help me manage my PC any better. A 10 year old IDE drive is going to work the exact same in game than any SSD. Sure the SSD will kill it in loading speeds and starting Windows, I don't dispute that. 99% of the people running SSD's still need a mechanical storage drive for keeping everything.

Until prices drop, it makes no sense, unless you have money to burn, to pay so much for so little storage.
You know people do use computers for uses other then gaming right? I guess I am 1% because I run a single 128gb SSD in my machine and that is it. I have no need for storage.

Also with the prices that regular HDD's are at currently your argument of saving money and not 'burning it' are completely nullified.
Old June 21, 2012, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Until prices fall below $100 for 250GB+ units I will pass on these wastes of cash.

lol i never goin back to a reg h-drive
to me they only good for storage now

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old June 21, 2012, 09:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

oh my god i can't believe folks still call them a waste of money i have an ssd in every system in the house which totals 9 hell most of my pc's have 3 to 5 of them in there and yes they do make a huge difference in fps cause most games load on the fly in the middle of game play and that matters in first person shooter games not to mention older games never stutter at all with them loaded on the ssd and play your disk from the ssd which i do

It's simple there getting very good in price i just picked up a pair of agility 3 for less then 60 bucks each you can't go wrong there
Old June 21, 2012, 01:53 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:

It's been very common for quite some time now to use a very fast smaller drive for the OS.
Take the Raptors for example. Quite a few people, myself included, have been running them for years, simply because they do make a decent difference to the performance enthusiast.
And SSD's have hit the price point where they dominate Raptors at the lower drive sizes.

I would agree though, that SSD's are a huge waste of money in the larger sizes though.
Right now a 960gb OCZ SSD is $1,100 US. And that's quite a bit less than the rest of the market.

For a backup drive they would be fantastic. The ability to copy a blu-ray sized file in a half minute would save a lot of time.
But until they're affordable at the 1tb size, minimum, they're still not very useful for anything other than the OS. But that's not such a bad thing.
Old June 21, 2012, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i think best idea is to use them to accelerate your HDD, like this you keep the utility of a large HDD and a speedy SSD.
Old June 22, 2012, 05:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So this chart just now.... Wow. I wish I held off the purchase of my Crucial M4. like 4 months ago.

SSD Prices Show Steady Decline - Legit Reviews

Old July 2, 2012, 06:55 AM
Rookie

Price drop isn't due to NAND oversupply, it's because there is a war for marketshare happening.

Once SSD becomes a commodity item then it'll be a war about who has the most marketshare and lowest margins.

OEMs are trying to push SSDs out to increase NAND flash buying power to lower their own costs as fast as possible to 'buy' back margin on sales.

Right now they are losing on every SSD discounted. Either, you mr. consumer win :)
Old July 2, 2012, 07:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

While I wouldn't go as far as to say they are a waste of cash.. I would slightly agree with b1lk1..

IMO a ssd should be one of the last things you splash on once you have everything else sorted.. but no not a waste of cash..
Old July 2, 2012, 07:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I call it a waste of cash in terms of performance when you see people with low end computers buying them thinking they will gain anything more than faster opening programs and Windows booting in record time. They offer little to no in-game or in-program performance compared to a better CPU or better GFX or better memory.

In my mind, it is like buying a 1000W PSU for a dual core low end system.

When SSD's are selling for $.25/GB or less they will be worth it. Right now they are a cash grab for manufacturers.