Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Which ssd (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/54822-ssd.html)

xelosia June 16, 2012 06:15 PM

Which ssd

I am just going to buy my first ssd I hane been looking at this one

MKNSSDCR120GB - Mushkin Enhanced

Is this one good or should i look for a different one any comments and suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

MARSTG June 18, 2012 05:45 PM

that version of Chronos is made with Asynchronous NAND which is the slower one. The Chronos Deluxe that is almost double the price is (at the same capacity) the one made with Synchronous NAND which is considerably faster. I have the 60GB version of the regular Chronos and is limited to like 327MB/s which is still a lot. All in all is a good drive, comes with latest firmware, just don't expect it to hit 500MB/s when you do some testing.

xelosia June 18, 2012 06:27 PM

Thanks for your response will use that info wisely

Keywork June 18, 2012 06:46 PM

I just bought a 120GB Chronos from NCIX. They had them on sale for $80 over the weekend!

AkG June 18, 2012 07:03 PM

Just to expand on what has been said.

That mushy is the same as a Corsair Performance 3, OCZ Agility 3, Patriot Pyro and a bunch of others. They all use the same ONFi 1 NAND, same controller, same firmware. The ONLY difference is who handles RMAs if things go south. Find the cheapest w/ the most warranty you feel comfortable with and buy it.

Though, some other (IMHO more optimal) choices are the Vertex 3, Corsair Performance GT, Kingston HyperX 3K. All use ONFi 2 NAND, same controller, same firmware. Other (even better'ish) choices are the Crucial M4, Samsung 830, Vertex 3 MaxIOPS, Patriot WildFire, Intel 520.

IMHO when all other things being equal (and some in my list are NOT the same) Toggle Mode NAND > ONFi 2 > ONFi 1. But ONFi 2 vs Toggle Mode...is a lot closer and either options are GREAT options. :)

YMMV

EDIT:

Drop me a PM and I will break it down for ya in more details. Hell tell me your budget and I will not only break it down but give you my personal recommendations (ie what I do when a given budget build is X dollars) w/ pros and cons to any options. :)

techman95 June 19, 2012 07:18 AM

i just bought the corsair force3 180GB for 180bucks just a few days ago, i got it because it was the same price as most 120GB ssds. plus it is a little faster than that mushkin your looking at the entire corsair force3 line is so it might be worth a look

great_big_abyss June 19, 2012 10:35 AM

Question for ya!

Corsair Force GT 120GB or Crucial M4 120GB?

AkG June 19, 2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by great_big_abyss (Post 635858)
Question for ya!

Corsair Force GT 120GB or Crucial M4 120GB?

YGPM :thumb:

On2wheels June 21, 2012 09:09 AM

AkG, if this link works, can you PM me your suggestion? I only need a 60-80gb drive for Win7 x64 and minimal progs.
thx. Running on an old motherboard so I'd like to keep this drive for my next build too.
Solid State Drives between $50.00 and $99.99 SATA III Interface Type at TigerDirect.ca

or this? Canada Computers | Solid State Drives | OCZ (AGT3-25SAT3-60G) Agility 3 2.5" 60GB SATA3 6GB/s Solid State Drive, Read: 525MB/s, Write: 475MB/s
Or knowing my requirements, go ahead and suggest another! :)
Questions:
my current C: partition is 40gb, what's the right minimum size for an ssd boot drive?
Is it true to leave some unpartitioned space on an ssd boot drive?

MARSTG June 21, 2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by On2wheels (Post 636420)
Or knowing my requirements, go ahead and suggest another! :)
Questions:
my current C: partition is 40gb, what's the right minimum size for an ssd boot drive?
Is it true to leave some unpartitioned space on an ssd boot drive?

We don't know your requirements, but assuming that your system is capable of TRIM , that means at least Intel ICH10R, nothing Nvdia, and no AMD below 8xx series, you should be ok with mostly anything. If no TRIM capable system, than you should think Crucial M4, the drive with the best ITGC on the market, or Vertex 4, which is also based on a Marvell controller.
For partition size : minimum should be enough space to allow the OS to install but best idea is just to leave it a single partition. Unpartitioned space wouldn't really help as the controller already has pre-allocated blocks that are not made available to the OS, so it can replace the bad blocks with no issues.