Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 15, 2012, 08:47 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default just bought my first ssd

so i just bought my first ssd yesterday and i have some questions. like should i just do a fresh install of windows on it and then copy or reinstall my my programs and media onto it and other drives then format my old boot drive? and for windows i have a builders copy so will there be any problems with reinstalling it on a different drive? do i have to do any thing special?
Old June 15, 2012, 09:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I did a full format and re-install of Windows when I installed my SSD. But I have a full retail version of windows, so I'm not sure how it would work with your builder copy. You might have to phone Microsoft support to find out how to go about it.

I know that there is software out there that allows you to do a mirror of your existing boot partition. That may be the best way to go. The name of the software escapes me, but there is a specific one that people around here have recommended. I'm sure somebody will chime in with the name of it.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old June 15, 2012, 09:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You will want to enable TRIM on the device, which requires having your bio set to AHCI.

WARNING, if you do not reinstall windows you will HAVE to install the AHCI drivers BEFORE you switch it in the bios, otherwise you will cause windows to fail to load and just reboot.
Old June 15, 2012, 09:21 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

i already have it set to AHCI since day one so thats not a problem.
Old June 15, 2012, 09:33 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

so i found this but im not sure if its saying that the licence is tied to the motherboard?

Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?
A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the End User Software License Terms and the support of the software covered by that End User Software License Terms. The End User Software License Terms is a set of usage rights granted to the end user by the PC manufacturer and relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular PC. The system builder is required to support the software on the original PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PCs with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define the original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original system builder did not manufacture this new PC, and therefore cannot be expected to support it.
Old June 15, 2012, 09:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would do a fresh install. Just my preference. You may or may not have to re activate windows. They will give you a 1-800 number to call and you just enter a key into an automated system. It only takes a few minutes super easy. My first 2 re installs and component swaps I didn't have to re activate but every time after that I have.

COngrats for making the switch :D Once you go black you never go back and by black I mean SSD ahahahaha
Old June 15, 2012, 09:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

just load the drivers you may need then clone it acronis then fix the partition with paragon alignment tool adn boot from the ssd i have done this 1000's of times on many clients pc and too many of my own wirks great if you can get a copy of the adata acronis then it will align them just right and you wont need to use paragon software
Old June 15, 2012, 10:24 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
I would do a fresh install. Just my preference. You may or may not have to re activate windows. They will give you a 1-800 number to call and you just enter a key into an automated system. It only takes a few minutes super easy. My first 2 re installs and component swaps I didn't have to re activate but every time after that I have.

COngrats for making the switch :D Once you go black you never go back and by black I mean SSD ahahahaha
what do you mean by they give you a 1800 number to call like as in you call them and then it resets the licence activation
Old June 15, 2012, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Correct. Make sure you tell them you just swapped a single component in your system and assure it is the same PC. Here's a little quote I found for you from the microsoft website.

"To receive a Windows Phone 7 activation code, you will need to contact Microsoft Customer Service by phone. (There is no option to receive an activation code online.)
To reach Microsoft Customer Service, Windows Phone 7 customers in the United States can call 1-800-MICROSOFT."

I believe the reactivation prompt will have the 1 800 number iirc although it should be the same :P

Last edited by Pabz0r545; June 15, 2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old June 15, 2012, 10:59 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

ok that seems easy enough. ill probably start my new install later today then