Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 13, 2012, 05:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

SAS not SCSI, and a real workstation has SAS drives and ECC RAM, not a prosumer 10k drive. A workstation is enterprise-class hardware as a business desktop for special applications that a regular desktop couldn't handle. But who uses local bulk storage on a workstation anyways? As I said earlier, the serious storage will almost always be network-attached, at least on any of the projects I've been involved in, and the rest is better on SSD, so there's no need for 10k or 15k drives on workstations any more either. I think the Velociraptor is very much a consumer drive, so point taken.

But then does it make more sense to compare a Velociraptor with an SSD? That seems even more lopsided, though I guess it's what most readers will be looking for.
Old June 15, 2012, 05:58 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardric View Post
SAS not SCSI, and a real workstation has SAS drives and ECC RAM, not a prosumer 10k drive. A workstation is enterprise-class hardware as a business desktop for special applications that a regular desktop couldn't handle. But who uses local bulk storage on a workstation anyways? As I said earlier, the serious storage will almost always be network-attached, at least on any of the projects I've been involved in, and the rest is better on SSD, so there's no need for 10k or 15k drives on workstations any more either. I think the Velociraptor is very much a consumer drive, so point taken.

But then does it make more sense to compare a Velociraptor with an SSD? That seems even more lopsided, though I guess it's what most readers will be looking for.
This reminds me of a car commercial from the 90's. Nissan Sentra I think, was being compared to handling as well as some sports cars, etc...
Then they said "and when we ran it against the turbo ferarri/porsche...
and the video showed the sentra's doors being blown literally off their hinges, lol.
I used to love that commercial so much. But anyway yeah, the Velociraptor is pretty badass across the board, but it's getting it's doors blown across town by ssd's, that's for sure.

I use an ssd currently with a couple of big drives that aren't in the league of the Velociraptor.
And I just think it would be great when I back up a video, song, whatever to the backup drive that it would be with great quickness.
And as was already mentioned in the thread, the Velociraptor comes with some seriously high end pedigreed pieces parts, with a 5 year warranty.
You could surely do worse for a backup drive.
Old June 15, 2012, 06:03 AM
Top Prospect

Oh and I almost forgot. The 384mb figure that larkstarr posted is incorrect.

It's in fact, 150mb sata1, 300mb sata2 and 600mb sata3.

That's the rated bandwidth.

Serial ATA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia