Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10, 2012, 07:12 PM
Allstar

Well I for one may end considering a raptor mostly just for my downloaded files. I find it doesn't like multitasking too much so downloading, extracting and copying can take a long time and slows down quickly. I believe I'm using either a 750gb seagate (7200rpm) or a Western Digital Black 640gb (would have to check to be sure). Sure an ssd would be nice but a 240gb is a little too expensive and I'd really like at least 300gb of space.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old June 10, 2012, 09:26 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The velociraptor is still relevant, but its market share is shrinking. With SSD prices still dropping perhaps this will be the last version we see of the velociraptor.
Old June 10, 2012, 09:40 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
Thank you BlueByte ^

The question is, what are your needs? If you're backing up or reading a movie from a 'lowly' 5,400 RPM backup/green drive, you're going to have -plenty- of speed for the program to keep up with, and then some. You don't need a velociraptor in order to do this, and you can save that cash that you would spend on one and put it towards a larger drive, or multiple smaller ones for RAIDing purposes.

And for those that interface with a mechanical drive more often, the speed that you gain using a faster drive is usually unwarranted for the price cost, compared to a SSD + "green" HDD solution that would be more effective in the first place.

Also your math is off. 3 Gb/s = 384 MB/s, double that for 6 Gb/s.

If you look past your e-penis, you'll find that raptors don't really need to exist anymore, the market for them is all but done.
The Raptors are still considered an Enterprise Drive and still a fave of Business.
Old June 11, 2012, 01:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
The Raptors are still considered an Enterprise Drive and still a fave of Business.
Really. Reasons? Link?
Old June 11, 2012, 01:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nuff said...

And I know of no business that uses a WD raptor.. They are too expensive and not good enough to be enterprise...
Old June 11, 2012, 07:01 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If/ when things go back to normal...I will have a 1TB Vrpator review posted. Its fast.

While I do agree that the market share is narrowing, the 1TB actually expands it a bit as its large enough to cover more needs than previous models and is pretty much the best non-solid state solution right now (dual aperature 'arms' + dual core controller + 10K rotational speed == match made in heaven!). While I dearly love SSDs they are still a bleeding edge device and a LOT of people are still leery of the tech. For example workstations where speed is important...but so too is perceived reliability. Many bussiness wont touch SSDs (though this is changing) but want more speed AND warranty than any 7200'rpmer can provide.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 13, 2012, 09:12 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
Thank you BlueByte ^

The question is, what are your needs? If you're backing up or reading a movie from a 'lowly' 5,400 RPM backup/green drive, you're going to have -plenty- of speed for the program to keep up with, and then some. You don't need a velociraptor in order to do this, and you can save that cash that you would spend on one and put it towards a larger drive, or multiple smaller ones for RAIDing purposes.

And for those that interface with a mechanical drive more often, the speed that you gain using a faster drive is usually unwarranted for the price cost, compared to a SSD + "green" HDD solution that would be more effective in the first place.

Also your math is off. 3 Gb/s = 384 MB/s, double that for 6 Gb/s.

If you look past your e-penis, you'll find that raptors don't really need to exist anymore, the market for them is all but done.
e-penis, lol. so anyone who you disagree with is speaking with their e-penis/ego?

that's forward thinking of you.

:rolls eyes:

Although I didn't state it, my point had nothing to do with using a Velociraptor as an os drive. Hence the reason for mentioning what everyone hating on the raptors was using as backup drives.

For backup drives it's not even close.

End of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post
The velociraptor is still relevant, but its market share is shrinking. With SSD prices still dropping perhaps this will be the last version we see of the velociraptor.
In the strictly-platter drive, probably so.

As many have mentioned on this board, it makes sense for them to do a version like the Seagate Momentus.

Although, I did see the adapter you can get where you can bridge your favorite ssd with a platter drive to make your own Momentus type drive.

A 256gb ssd with a 1tb Velociraptor would be a beautiful thing.

A pair of those that way for backup would even be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Nuff said...

And I know of no business that uses a WD raptor.. They are too expensive and not good enough to be enterprise...
eh, that's one test. i've seen probably another dozen or two that show the velociraptor on top.

Here's some that show a different story.

AnandTech - Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB (WD1000DHTZ) Review

Last edited by SugarJ; June 13, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old June 13, 2012, 10:10 AM

You cant compare the latest gen to last gen of anything and expect the older gen to "look good" in the performance dept.

The fact of the matter was that the VRaptor line was getting VERY long in the tooth....and ultra dense platter based 7200rpm drives surpassed its performance. The new model is indeed faster than any 7200rpm on the go...for now. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 13, 2012, 12:38 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I think it'll still be interesting to see how it compares to a Savvio 15k.3 or a Cheetah 15k.7. We all know SSD's will be faster -- why not compare it to the fastest platter drives on the market, apples to apples.
Old June 13, 2012, 02:24 PM

Because one is meant for prosumers/workstations and the other is meant for Enterprise environments? One is SCSI the other SATA? One is 300GB/600GB...the other 1TB?