Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 5, 2012, 10:59 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Windows install not recognize hard drive tray

OK, here goes:

I use a hard drive tray to switch to different OS's. It's great and never gives me a problem except when I do an install of Windows. XP goes thru half of setup, reboots and then fails to recognize the tray/drive, giving me a black screen and no post. Haven't tried using a Vista, 7 or other OS disc yet.

When I switch the drive to the internal sata cable setup continues. Problem is: when I go to use the tray again, for ex. using my 7 Pro 64b drive, I get a black screen again, no BIOS no nuthin' and no post. So it sits there and can't find the drive in the tray.

Last time this happened it corrected itself a day later but I don't understand why it wouldn't correctly work after waiting 1 minute to try again. Drive, firmware and mobo are AOK. I'm pretty sure the system will correctly recognize any drive in the tray soon but don't understand why this happens.

I'll check that my specs are up to date.

Thanks for any input,

Mac
Old June 5, 2012, 12:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

tray is on a controller set to ahci which xp before sp2 maybe 3 had no support for.

figure out what sp your xp is
Old June 5, 2012, 01:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
tray is on a controller set to ahci which xp before sp2 maybe 3 had no support for.

figure out what sp your xp is
IIRC all versions of XP lacked native AHCI support. You had to slipstream the drivers.

To the OP, aside from the XP issue you may have overwritten a bootloader by accident or simply forgot to unplug the XP drive when you installed Win7.
Old June 5, 2012, 02:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

F
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
IIRC all versions of XP lacked native AHCI support. You had to slipstream the drivers.

To the OP, aside from the XP issue you may have overwritten a bootloader by accident or simply forgot to unplug the XP drive when you installed Win7.
from what i recall sp2 or 3 had them built in
Old June 7, 2012, 09:29 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default maybe AHCI issue?

Like the energizer bunny...

Allright, appreciate the help. Big time. Couldn't have been an issue w/XP because my game hard drive is XP (SP3), I'm using it now after the ol' maxtor that came w/this rig suddenly died, probably due to imaging and cloning experimentation lately. Really close call but luckily I got all the data off it right before.

All channels are set to native IDE but here's the thing: if my XP drive uses IDE then I want to install 7 Pro 64b on this newer drive using IDE so I don't have to change anything when I pop in a different drive.

Tried installing 7 & it doesn't recognize any drive and apparently wants AHCI driver so I dl that and can put it on usb drive. But I don't understand why 7 disc doesn't just install the normal driver and continue. The drive tray is simply a physical connection. GB instructions tell me for ahci driver "pre-install" in bios to set: fail safe defaults, optimized defaults (& onchip sata type to ahci), and cable the drive to port 0, optical to port 4. Optical is an IDE.

Q - Does it matter which port the hard drive is on? I figure Bios's are pretty smart nowadays. The problem with no post was only when doing an install, and using the tray. I only have one drive in at a time, in the tray. Normally. If I can get the 7 install disc to recognize the new samsung - in the tray or on another cable/port I think it'll function in the tray after installation. I'll try the other port/cables and see.

Thanks for the interest people, it must something about the install process, obviously.

Thanx,

Mac
Old June 8, 2012, 08:09 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default not ahci but partitions not recognized

OK,

The problem with my initial XP install disc giving a black screen had to be the disc. From an academic affiliate of MS which I now have no respect for.

Solution for 7 install not recognizing the sata hard drive turned out to be the partitions on the drive. I originally created some using Gparted, then told both install discs to completely reformat when trying to install. Yet when I used a good (non-ISO) XP install disc it showed the old partitions, which I deleted.Then install was good to go. I didn't think it was anything to do with needing ahci or the sata ports.

Lost my main drive w/appl's while backing up my data, but over this hump and the rest should be easypeasy. Wall of famers - enaberif and ilya - thanks for the help! Hope some of your diagnostic smarts rubs off on me.

Tags
install , tray