Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 13, 2012, 06:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Anyone ever use anything like this?

Anyone ever use anything like this? Would it give the exact same performance as hooking it up the normal way? I would love to do this simply to clean up my cable management.

Velocity Solo
Old May 13, 2012, 06:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't believe Marvell controllers were ever the greatest, but it should work adequately. I think you'll lose TRIM support though.

This is really just one of those cheapo $20 "RAID" cards that you can buy, but instead of 2-4 ports, they just built a connector into it to plug a 2.5" HDD into it.

Interesting product though, but I'm guessing you'll lose a little bit of performance compared to Intel SATA3 ports.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If a reputable company actually made these, I would definitely consider buying something like this. Pretty damn convenient form factor.
Old May 13, 2012, 08:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Thats actually kinda cool. Get a good solid drive with decent provisioning and ITGC and you'll probably be okay.
Who makes that thing? Google search = not working but I don't even know what to call that lol.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 13, 2012, 09:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The company is called Apricorn. I posted a link to their website its below the picture. I have no clue what ITGC is. I'm considering trying this with my crucial m4. I really like the idea of less cables for my mod project.

*edit* nevermind upon further inspection I realised this card limits the SSD to speeds up to 400 MB/s for read and 200 MB/s write.

Last edited by Pabz0r545; May 13, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 04:53 AM
Rookie

Yeah PCI-E 2.0 with one lane tops out at around 500mb/sec, which, with overhead, probably is at the 400mb/sec range.

Probably won't really matter since most people buy SSDs for their high random I/O performance, but its not going to be the full 600mb/sec solution that a full SATA-3 implementation would provide with an appropriate interconnect to the PCIe bus.
Old May 14, 2012, 06:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
The company is called Apricorn. I posted a link to their website its below the picture. I have no clue what ITGC is. I'm considering trying this with my crucial m4. I really like the idea of less cables for my mod project.

*edit* nevermind upon further inspection I realised this card limits the SSD to speeds up to 400 MB/s for read and 200 MB/s write.
Cool I'm gonna take a look.

ITGC is just internal garbage control, the drives ability when idle to take itself out of a degraded state.

Interesting product,

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 14, 2012, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitz View Post
Yeah PCI-E 2.0 with one lane tops out at around 500mb/sec, which, with overhead, probably is at the 400mb/sec range.

Probably won't really matter since most people buy SSDs for their high random I/O performance, but its not going to be the full 600mb/sec solution that a full SATA-3 implementation would provide with an appropriate interconnect to the PCIe bus.
So what you're saying is this won't hinder my m4 performance much at all?