Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 20, 2012, 09:20 PM
Top Prospect

Default Seagate MomentusXT 750GB (gen2, SATA III) Hybrid review

Now that I have had a few weeks to play around with my new build, I really have noticed how great the Momentus XT is. My old hard drives were 2x 150GB raptors in raid 0, and this single MomentusXT is much much faster. No, I don't have any benchmarks to prove it but I am sure they can be found online. After reading the reviews of the new MomentusXT, which most reviewers liked but not loved, so I wasn't sure what to expect in real world everyday use. But this is exactly the point, in my world of loading apps, videos, and AVI to Mpeg-2 conversion this drive kicks butt, and honestly can't imagine better. Plus its totally silent in my build, which isn't loud by any means.

My SSD primary drive is faster without a doubt, but most of the time the MomentusXT keeps pace when loading files, and lauching apps.

I would bet that two of these in RAID would out perform a single 1TB Velociraptor, or come close, and cost less/use less energy/be quieter/give 500GB more space.

Sometimes reviews don't reflect real world usage by the masses, and this hybrid drive is one of those times. Technically its a laptop drive, but I'm loving it in my build. I just wanted to share because I thought it turned out to be a tremendous value not to mention being silent, energy efficient and a very solid performer.

added: Oops meant to post this in the review section :( My mistake apologize

Support Intel's X79/LGA2011 platform, it is worthy
Intel Core i7-3820 SB-E @4.6Ghz
ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB
16GB Samsung DDR3-1600 30nm MV-3V4G3D/US
Corsair Carbide 400r
Corsair H70 cooler w/2x COUGAR CF-V12HP 120mm fans
EVGA GTX680
Thermaltake toughpower grand 850
Intel 520 180GB SSD
Seagate momentus XT 750 gen2 hybrid
LG BD burner w/ 3D MDisc Lightscribe
Dell UltraSharp U2412M LED 1920x1200 w/IPS
Cerwin-Vega XD3 sound monitors
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Last edited by ginman522; April 20, 2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old April 21, 2012, 11:36 AM
MVP

I have one of these drives in my MacBook Pro 13 inch. Although it is being hindered by the SATA 2 interface on the motherboard it is still a VERY fast SSHD.

Although it is a Seagate product.....this is a GOOD Seagate product and I can recommend it fully.

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old April 21, 2012, 08:40 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I have a 1st Gen 500gb in my m11x r3, zero complaints here.. Have never really timed boot up, and but it beats my workstation easily- I'd estimate 20 seconds.

Old April 22, 2012, 06:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yup i had one now the gf has it is here lappie and we both were very happy with it and mine is a first gen 500gb like the friend above me and still very happy with it