Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29, 2008, 08:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Sata Data Cable Sleeving

I've been aiming to wire my case a bit better, and it will be easiest if I put some custom sleeving on my sata data cables, is there any risk in this?

To be clear, I aim to remove the standard insulation and replace it.
Old March 29, 2008, 08:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmmmmm.....

I've got no hands-on experience, but SATA cables have been reported to be delicate contraptions without messing about with the shielding. Not sure if that was just when they first came out, but if it were me, I wouldn't be mucking about with them.

That said..... As long as you've got a spare, and don't use it for critical data transfer until you're sure it's ok it wouldn't cost much to find out though. :)

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old March 29, 2008, 09:02 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I rather suspect I shouldnt be tinkering about, inside there are in fact 7 cables total, 3 are very small and each seems to be placed in the insulation seperate from each other and the other 4. These 4 are broken down into two groupings inside what looks almost like aluminum foil, they are then shielded again, I'm not so much worried about them as I am about the 3 smaller seperate cables, I might consider tracing them to see where they go, because if they are safe to touch to each other, I'm gonna do a test on a cheap rig with cheap hardware to make sure nothing explodes.

Really hope someone out there knows something I don't though, I'd rather not find out the hard way. Google btw has turned up next to squat.
Old March 29, 2008, 09:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Is this what you're looking for???

Serial ATA Bus Pin out [SATA], SATA Pinout, SATA Signal Names

If they're individually shielded, I suspect they're highly susceptible to interference from each other and that you'll more than likely get data corruption if you muck about with them..... :)

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old March 29, 2008, 09:51 PM
MVP
F@H

I agree, leave the cable alone and sleeve over top for looks. Sleeving is for cable protection and looks, insulation is for insulating...
VIDEO: 3 x Visiontek HD3870
Old March 30, 2008, 04:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, wasn't going for looks, I need the cable to be a bit more friendly for going around bends and getting where I want with a minimum of fuss, but what must be must be, maybe I can try and find some cabling that is aligned differently, though every single sata cable I've seen to date is the thickish rubbery feeling red/black/yellow cable.
Old April 11, 2008, 01:33 PM
Allstar

Take a look at Monoprice.com they sell some great sata cables. I just received the 18" blue 90 degree locking ones Hard Drive Cables–Serial ATA(SATA) (scroll down to the SATA2 cables) and they are a semi clear, and very flexible unlike the ones that you normally get with a motherboard. There are also red and green clear cables plus they have neon ones that light up.

Actually, that's about the best place to buy any kind of cable period. They also ship to Canada and pretty much everything has customer comments.

Hope that helps some.

Last edited by Nodscene; April 11, 2008 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old April 11, 2008, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Heh....I'm looking to try this myself.

I do know sata lines are very picky about being shielded.....crosstalk is a serious issue.....

Rather than messing around with trying to mod my cables , (I have, bad result), I'm going to get custom ones made.Little more money but well worth it.