Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2012, 09:54 PM
Allstar

Default Comay SSD

I just had an online acquaintance recommend a Comay Venus Pro 3 SSD.

I had never heard of them (corerise.com) so I did a search and found some info but the only link in Canada seems to be Synetic in Vancouver and all their internal links return 404 errors. Anyone encountered these drives before?
Old April 8, 2012, 09:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Never heard of the company, so I wouldnt take my chances with it unless you get it for free or really cheap.
Old April 9, 2012, 07:07 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

The drive is marketed through Core Rise and is a 6Gbps SandForce Driven SSD based on the SF-2281 processor. It will run similar to all SF driven premium NANDSSDs that we see and Synetic just started selling them. I just received the very drive you mentioned, in fact, and expect to have a review up within the next day or so but this is a very busy week on the SSD front.

As for Synetic, they are a very well established company on the enterprise front, however, they just started selling the Comay/Core Rise product so it is not up on the site just yet.

Just received this...
__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Dear Synetic Clients, Partners & Resellers,

We are pleased to announce the new series of Venus 3S MLC SATA3/6Gbs SSDs from CoreRise CoreRise Electronics|Solid State Dive Expert|SSD|Industrial SSD|Enterprise SSD|Military SSD|Industrial MLC SSD||Industrial SLC SSD|. Venus 3S SSD series have been manufactured with best quality materials and components and have engineered to provide top performance and reliability for continuous use in workstation and servers. We believe they will fulfill your requirements for many applications without the need for higher priced SSDs.

Please note these Below is the brief technical information table, we however can send you the complete datasheet if requested. It will also be posted in our website shortly: Solid State Drives

We suggest that you take advantage of this promotion and pick 2 or more of these drives. Stock is limited and first comes first serve.

* Notes*

- Minimum quantity 2 of any combination.

- Higher quantity order will receive additional discount.

- Price for single item purchase is higher by 5%

Regards,

Marketing Division
Synetic Inc.
480B Tennyson Place
Victoria, BC V8Z 6S8
Canada
Tel: (250) 475-3001 Fax: (250) 475-3002
Email:
marketing@synetic.ca Web: www.synetic.ca

Hope this helps and will have the review up soon enough!

Les@TheSSDReview
Attached Images

Last edited by Flamenko; April 9, 2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old April 9, 2012, 07:47 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I would be more worried about warranty service....
Old April 9, 2012, 08:17 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I would be more worried about warranty service....
Bingo. When dealing with an "unknown" company with very SMALL footprint in Canada you really have to ask yourself: Why go with them over more established brands. Only a couple reasons to do so: price, performance, warranty service.

Warranty may in fact be awesome but its going to be a PITA in all likelihood and I would not want to be the guinea pig.

Price....meh. No great shakes their either.

Performance. Nope. A SF2281 running stock firmware and using "premium" ONFi NAND (which could mean either ONFi 1 or ONFi 2....most likely 2) will have the SAME performance. IE its Just Another SandForce Drive.

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 9, 2012, 08:25 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

New to me as well....just passing the info I have in and, if the site allows, I can send a link to the review. write cycle of 3000 = TLC? Will be the first review of such so I am working on it on my holiday!

Old April 9, 2012, 09:07 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

3K erase cycle means its (most likely) 25nm Micron ONFi NAND. If it had been 5K it would be Intel branded 25nm IC's.

TLC is kinda odd. If it was TLC you would be looking at about 1-2k erase cycle lifespan with it on 25nm and 3xNM respectively....but Ive also seen specs putting it at 1.5K and 750 writes (3Xnm / 25nm)....and IF it IS TLC its way....way overpriced. But tbh the only TLC'ers you really are going to see are mega sized and mega cheap-o drives. Not much in the middle of the road / mid-tier (which the Onfi 2/SF2281 combo is now).

Hope that helps. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 9, 2012, 09:23 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Yup

Had to pull it open to see the NAND...

Intel 25nm Synch 16GB 29F16B08CCME3

Same as the new ADATA XPG we just reviewed!