Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2012, 09:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Linus Does Not Agree with HWC?

High Capacity Solid State Drive SSD Performance Round Up NCIX Tech Tips - YouTube

Linus said that in NON-TRIM environments, SandForce SSDs are the way to go. Pretty much everyone says this but AKG and the reviewers here on HWC.... Hrm...

Last edited by geokilla; April 4, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old April 4, 2012, 10:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Why in the hell would anyone want a SSD with a Weak slow ITGC in a Non-Trim Enviroment? That just doesn't make sense.

Then again only 3% of SSD Reviewers know what it is they are talking about, and AkG is THE guy I would trust over all.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 4, 2012, 10:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Amen to that, I've never been steered wrong listening to the guy. I've heard of people going with some SSDs AkG hasn't recommended and boy were they all ever sorry with slower performance or it dying on them requiring an RMA.
Old April 4, 2012, 10:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Not the first time Linus and AkG have disagreed on something, and it won't be the last.
Old April 4, 2012, 10:40 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Not the first time Linus and AkG have disagreed on something, and it won't be the last.
Indeed. I remember another drive that everyone swore was great except AkG, and AkG was proven right on that one too.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 4, 2012, 10:44 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Pretty much no reviewer says that SF2281 are better at non-trim environment than Marvell. Linus is not a reviewer, he is a "youtube personality" who does very good video blurbs / commercials on various goodies for the company he works for. Me and Linus agree to disagree on many things. Basically ever since he publicly stated with FULL CONVICTION that the original OCZ Solid was just as good as the OCZ Vertex (ie entry level vs enthusiast grade at the time) and the only difference was MARKETING....I pay him no mind when it comes to storage. YMMV.

IMHO the only SF2281 worth a damn at non-Trim envrio's is Intel and their 520 model.

The reason some less informed people think SF2281 does a good job is because of the MASSIVE over-provisioning SandForce gives their drives. Sadly once this OP is exhausted (usually about a month or two after initial setup in a non-trim enviro... BUT up until then...it masks its degraded state very nicely)...their speed tanks. Its NOT as bad as the SF1200 series but thats not saying much as the SF1200 was easily the most less than optimal design for such environments to come out since TRIM came about. SandForce simply expects customer to USE TRIM. Bloody hell SF doesn't even fully respect TRIM commands (durawrite over-rides it when it feels like it)...but thats another story for another day. ;)

YMMV and dont take any one persons word as gospel. Treat EVERYONE's opinion - including mine -as suspect....and you will be much happier and be able to make much better informed decisions based on your personal needs and requirements.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; April 4, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old April 4, 2012, 10:53 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Pretty much everyone says SandForce is better for non-trim? Like who?

Yeah I'm going with Akg on this one...
Old April 4, 2012, 11:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

This is going to be a tread lightly type thread.. but..

Linus is all about hyping and pro-marketing what he is given to him. I have never seen Linus give a bad review on a product as that manufacturer would not be happy.

Not saying Linus doesn't know his stuff but as someone said these "Tech Tips" for general population who are looking for a way to make a purchase without having to think. Doesn't mean they are getting good or bad advice.. just a review for a product.
Old April 4, 2012, 01:22 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

There's not even a question as to who you should listen to. However, ill give you the answer just in case : not Linus.

It's like asking a squeegee guy a car mechanics question - don't bother. Trust someone that actually knows what they're talking about.
Old April 7, 2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Basically ever since he publicly stated with FULL CONVICTION that the original OCZ Solid was just as good as the OCZ Vertex (ie entry level vs enthusiast grade at the time) and the only difference was MARKETING....:
I didn't say it was just as good. I said it wasn't garbage, and it'd be hard for people to tell the difference. I also said that most of the performance of an SSD comes from the controller, and not from the flash.

I still maintain that between the cheapest SSD and the most expensive one (or the freshest vs the most degraded one), an end user would fail a Pepsi challenge 40-60% of the time in a real-world scenario. They are so much faster than the hard drives that 99% of computer users are used to.

All of that aside, it's no secret that I do not know SSDs as well as AkG, whose reviews I will always take above my own word. If the community wants to throw together something to help me correct the information in that part of the video, I will add it as an annotation.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647