Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2012, 06:22 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default OCZ Vertex 4 512GB SSD Review Comment Thread

OCZ's Vertex series has been the de facto leader in the SSD market for the last few years and their new Vertex 4 is looking to continue that tradition. Equipped with the new Everest 2 controller and a relatively low price point, this new drive sure looks impressive but it will take more than just that to dislodge the entrenched SandForce competition.

Read more here: OCZ Vertex 4 512GB SSD Review
Old April 4, 2012, 06:46 AM
Allstar

Interesting ...

If I can make a suggestion ... perhaps there could be a locked thread that gives buying recommendations (HWC top picks) whenever there is a new product release. Locked because of all the fluff that gives added and waters down the message.

AKG has recommended in the forum the last few months that certain models from Intel, Crucial and Corsair are his suggestions. An up to date list after a new product release might make potential buyers less weary and confirm that a recommendation from last month still holds water and is current ...
Old April 4, 2012, 08:07 AM
MVP

My System Specs

On the Conclusion page, in the Cons section:

"Firmware is still requires refinement"

Does that sentence make sense to anyone else? The "is" seems out of place.
Old April 4, 2012, 08:27 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post

"Firmware still requires refinement"

Fix it for yah
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old April 4, 2012, 09:56 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolab View Post
Fix it for yah
I can see where they were going with the "is" in the sentence, it's just like they switched train of thought halfway through writing it.
Old April 4, 2012, 12:44 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Also like SandForce SF2281 controller, the Everest 2 controller makes use of auto-encryption with 256bit AES support. It is unknown if this encryption is an optional feature or even if it is enabled on the Vertex 4 as this is an enterprise-centric item not required for the average home user or enthusiast.
May I suggest that encryption is for anyone, not just the enterprise. How many laptops and even desktops have beens tolen and the data off their hard drives used for fraud or identity theft? Think of all the personal and private material we store on our drives: e-mail, passwords, account names, url's to forums and accoutns that get automatically logged onto, etc.

An encrypted drive drive means all a thief gets is the hardware, not the virtual keys to the kingdom. Given the difficulty ins ecurely erasing an SSD as well, encryption should be the default, not the exception.
Old April 4, 2012, 12:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

"Firmware is still requires refinement"

Quote:
I can see where they were going with the "is" in the sentence, it's just like they switched train of thought halfway through writing it.
Having written a few reviews myself, I can verify that you've hit the nail on the head. On top of that, once it's written, it's very hard for the original writer to see the mistake... they know what they meant to write, and the brain either fills in what's missing, or ignores the extra bits........ ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 4, 2012, 01:03 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Between the original con posted and the edited version of it... we "accidentally'ed a word". It happens. ;)

The encryption would be seamless...just like on a SF2281 drive...so if the thief got your laptop..he would get your data as well. The downside is that IF you need to have data recovery done the encryption can be a royal PITA to get around. Pros and cons to each side of that argument. YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; April 4, 2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old April 4, 2012, 01:42 PM
Top Prospect

So uhhh, assuming a Vertex 3 Max IOPS and Vertex 4 costs the same, which way would you go? :D

Seems like both options are good.
Old April 4, 2012, 03:36 PM
Allstar

Encryption that is in active decryption mode all the time without authentication/password /etc isn't much of an encryption system - indeed at that point it's more a marketing gimmick than a security feature.