Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   OCZ Vertex 4 512GB SSD Review Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/53019-ocz-vertex-4-512gb-ssd-review-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL April 4, 2012 07:22 AM

OCZ Vertex 4 512GB SSD Review Comment Thread

OCZ's Vertex series has been the de facto leader in the SSD market for the last few years and their new Vertex 4 is looking to continue that tradition. Equipped with the new Everest 2 controller and a relatively low price point, this new drive sure looks impressive but it will take more than just that to dislodge the entrenched SandForce competition.

Read more here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...sd-review.html

yamawho April 4, 2012 07:46 AM

Interesting ...

If I can make a suggestion ... perhaps there could be a locked thread that gives buying recommendations (HWC top picks) whenever there is a new product release. Locked because of all the fluff that gives added and waters down the message.

AKG has recommended in the forum the last few months that certain models from Intel, Crucial and Corsair are his suggestions. An up to date list after a new product release might make potential buyers less weary and confirm that a recommendation from last month still holds water and is current ...

Jebusman April 4, 2012 09:07 AM

On the Conclusion page, in the Cons section:

"Firmware is still requires refinement"

Does that sentence make sense to anyone else? The "is" seems out of place.

Prolab April 4, 2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jebusman (Post 617734)

"Firmware still requires refinement"

Fix it for yah

Jebusman April 4, 2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prolab (Post 617744)
Fix it for yah

I can see where they were going with the "is" in the sentence, it's just like they switched train of thought halfway through writing it.

NyteOwl April 4, 2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Also like SandForce SF2281 controller, the Everest 2 controller makes use of auto-encryption with 256bit AES support. It is unknown if this encryption is an optional feature or even if it is enabled on the Vertex 4 as this is an enterprise-centric item not required for the average home user or enthusiast.
May I suggest that encryption is for anyone, not just the enterprise. How many laptops and even desktops have beens tolen and the data off their hard drives used for fraud or identity theft? Think of all the personal and private material we store on our drives: e-mail, passwords, account names, url's to forums and accoutns that get automatically logged onto, etc.

An encrypted drive drive means all a thief gets is the hardware, not the virtual keys to the kingdom. Given the difficulty ins ecurely erasing an SSD as well, encryption should be the default, not the exception.

sswilson April 4, 2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jebusman (Post 617734)

"Firmware is still requires refinement"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jebusman (Post 617783)
I can see where they were going with the "is" in the sentence, it's just like they switched train of thought halfway through writing it.

Having written a few reviews myself, I can verify that you've hit the nail on the head. On top of that, once it's written, it's very hard for the original writer to see the mistake... they know what they meant to write, and the brain either fills in what's missing, or ignores the extra bits........ ;)

AkG April 4, 2012 02:03 PM

Between the original con posted and the edited version of it... we "accidentally'ed a word". It happens. ;)

The encryption would be seamless...just like on a SF2281 drive...so if the thief got your laptop..he would get your data as well. The downside is that IF you need to have data recovery done the encryption can be a royal PITA to get around. Pros and cons to each side of that argument. YMMV

Bao April 4, 2012 02:42 PM

So uhhh, assuming a Vertex 3 Max IOPS and Vertex 4 costs the same, which way would you go? :D

Seems like both options are good.

NyteOwl April 4, 2012 04:36 PM

Encryption that is in active decryption mode all the time without authentication/password /etc isn't much of an encryption system - indeed at that point it's more a marketing gimmick than a security feature.