Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 26, 2008, 09:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Why such a huge MFT on my C: drive?

So I have reformatted onto a new-ish HDD, Seagate 250GB 16MB 7.2k. I tried defragging to get all my files down the the centre of the disc as I like to have them but this HDD just wouldn't let them go there using Windows defrag. So I tried JK Defrag as it looked like the shizzle and it is showing a HUGE MFT (pink area in screen shot below) and won't move any files there?

I have run some tests using HDTune and HDTach and there is nothing glaringly wrong that I can tell? Also Chkdsc did not report any errors either. Any idea why I have such a massive MFT area?

I have system restore off. My Recycle bin reserved space is at 3%. My pagefile is 3GB and even if I move it to a seperate HDD the huge MFT is still present.

Thanks for your help.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 26, 2008, 11:04 PM
Top Prospect

Are you sure the pink area is the MFT? By default windows should only create a MFT of about 50MB or so and nowhere near even 1gb.

To be honest I've never heard of JK defrag and I would highly recommend using something like Diskeeper instead.
Old March 26, 2008, 11:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No I am not really sure the pink IS the MFT it is just that JK Defrag says pink = MFT. So that is what I am basing this on. And yes my MFT in previous builds was much smaller, barely detectable than what this is showing, hence my confusion.

JK Defrag seems pretty popular on notebookreview and is a HOT item at majorgeeks. The fact that it shows a lot of detail and is supposed to do an excellent job of moving files to free blocks close to the centre of the disc is what drew me to it. Oh and it's free

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 27, 2008, 09:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Bump...

Anyone else have any thoughts? I am running the Seagate Seatools Long Self Test now and will view the result when I get home to see if that comes up with any errors or not.

On the brighter side of life my 5000+ ran Prime95 for 7.5 hrs no errors at 3.2GHz - yay for me! Maybe I can push it farther tonight ;)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old March 28, 2008, 10:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

AH HA! I figured it out

Here's the scoop as to why my 250 GB dedicated C: drive was reserving ~1/5 of the total drive size for the MFT.

Quote:
As more files and directories are added to the file system, it becomes necessary for NTFS to add more records to the MFT. Since keeping the MFT contiguous on the disk improves performance, when an NTFS volume is first set up, the operating system reserves about 12.5% of the disk space immediately following the MFT; this is sometimes called the "MFT Zone". This is a substantial chunk of real estate to reserve, but bear in mind that it is still usable. Regular files and directories will not use this space until and unless the rest of the disk volume space is consumed, but if that occurs, the "MFT Zone" will be used.
Master File Table (MFT)

AND

I figured out how to defeat this legacy space hog on my Seagate 250GB C: drive. So the MFT Reserved Zone (pink area in screens below)

went from this (pink area ~31.25 GB)...

to this (pink area ~3.75 GB)

Can I get a Boohay?! Here's how I did it.

1. Used Acronis to resize my C: partition from the full 250 GB drive to just 30 GB.
2. Defragged using JK Defrag
3. Using Acronis again resized the C: partition back to the full size of the drive.

Da da da DAAAA!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE