Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2012, 04:33 PM
Rookie

Default Help - Floppy drive file recovery

I discovered some floppies (3.5 inch, 1.44 MB) with data that I thought I had copied over to other media but of course I somehow didn't. The files consist of scanned copies of very old family photos in, I am certain .jpg format.

I no longer have a system with a floppy drive. I tried to read the disks at the local public library but the system reports that no data is recoverable.

I can readily obtain a USB-connected external floppy drive. That done, will it work on Win 7, 64 bit?

Assuming that the hardware/OS is a go, what would you recommend as software to attempt file recovery?
Does current file recovery software still recognize a floppy as a source?

Hoping...

Thanks
Old April 2, 2012, 04:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

A USB floppy drive should work fine.

File recovery software doesn't typically care about the media, it just needs to analyse the file system and attempt to find the bits which were set to 0 in the file system but not actually written to disk. With a floppy though, I think the write is immediate, unlike hard drives.

Are you sure the lock switch isn't enabled on the floppy?

You can try this though: Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download
Old April 2, 2012, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

if these are VERY old disks your chances of recovery.. probably nil.

3.5" disks don't like to be not used.