Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2012, 07:54 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default OCZ Synapse 64GB SSD Cache Drive Review Comment Thread

Cache drives like the new OCZ Synapse are the new darlings of the SSD market since -in principle- they have the capability to drastically improve overall system load times without costing an absolute fortune. Unfortunately, there are some issues that are bound to be encountered along the way but the Synapse and its included software are supposed to succeed where other solutions have failed.

Read more here: OCZ Synapse 64GB SSD Cache Drive Review
Old March 27, 2012, 09:57 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Nice review as always.

One thing, on the "OCZ Synapse and CPU Utilization" page, the graph is for CPU Utilization, but on the x-axis has MB/s (Higher is Better)
Old March 27, 2012, 10:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

*Edit
Never mind, re-read review. question answered, kinda.

*Edit
Wait a second!
Quote:
Disclaimer: Your Dataplex licensing key is only valid on one machine. Dataplex uses various components to identify a PC (memory, OS, CPU Id, BIOS, Ethernet card); if two or more components change, it is considered a different machine. If you wish to change only one component, Dataplex will automatically revalidate the license as long as there is an internet connection when the PC is rebooted. You must uninstall Dataplex to release the license prior to changing two or more components in your system. Licenses cannot be released after the system is no longer valid. Please contact OCZ tech support to reset the license if this occurs.
What in the shit is this? Are you kidding me?
Screw you OCZ. Screw you.

It is a cache drive. Why does the software that makes it tick really need to call home and disable itself if I want to upgrade or otherwise swap around hardware?

Last edited by MacJunky; March 27, 2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old March 28, 2012, 05:25 AM

It doesn't really "call home". Basically, there is a license key much like a game's activation code. Once it is used, it has to be reset to be used again.
Old March 28, 2012, 05:49 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Sorry about the graph. No idea on what happened. Been looking at that excel file for ages and never saw what was actually THERE. d'oh!

As for the software. I honestly dont see the problem. Its really not that big a deal when you think about it. This software can - in theory - use any two drives to merge them into one. Since OCZ only supplies you with ONE solid state drive per retail box, they only purchased the rights to ONE license per box. If you simply could use it on every system you owned...that would have been bad for Dataplex (but good for OCZ as it would have made the Synapse a down right BARGAIN!). Is it going to be a royal PITA for enthusiasts who swap out components a regular basis...not really but it will be an extra step you need to take - but already should be doing (it makes TS'ing issues a LOT easier). BUT this model is meant more for joe average user who doesnt upgrade his systems all that often rather than "us" storage enthusiasts.

If you have an enthusiast grade rig....you most likely already have an Vertex 2/3 in there. BUT if you want to boost performance in an older rig...you go the Synapse route and IF you own an old rig...why would upgrade two parts at the same time? Hell in the rare case you DO need to upgrade two parts. Install one, reboot. Let it re-license itself while you are installing the drivers for the new part. When finished...shutdown, install the second...and reboot. That is how most upgrades should go anyways as it leaves less room for Murphy to mess with you. ;)

Dataplex is NOT saying you can only change one part. or X parts in total. All you need do is change one part at a time. IF by some bad luck your rig nukes itself (say mobo dies)...drop OCZ a line and they will help you. In the mean time...you will be reinstalling the OS first anyways as this software installs AFTER the OS.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; March 28, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old March 28, 2012, 06:11 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
It doesn't really "call home". Basically, there is a license key much like a game's activation code. Once it is used, it has to be reset to be used again.
Tie it to the drive is one thing but this IS crap ...
Old March 28, 2012, 07:32 AM

If it was any other company I would agree. But OCZ is known for their quick customer service so I would guess you'd have a new activation code in your hand within 24 hours.
Old March 28, 2012, 08:54 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

What I would like to know is why we cannot purchase the software for caching and choose for our self what drive we wanna use. I have some 60GB Aglity2 drives that I would like to use for caching on some of the lesser machines in my home... but no software is on the market for me to look at AFAIK.
Old March 28, 2012, 09:02 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill View Post
What I would like to know is why we cannot purchase the software for caching and choose for our self what drive we wanna use. I have some 60GB Aglity2 drives that I would like to use for caching on some of the lesser machines in my home... but no software is on the market for me to look at AFAIK.
"....If you are a PC OEM or SSD Vendor and are interested in using Dataplex with your products, please contact us... "

IE the makers of Dataplex do not want to deal with the gen pub at this time. They are interested in only the big boys who can buy a LOT of licenses.

NVELO - Products

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 28, 2012, 09:09 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

It would make sense to me that SSD Vendors should be the ones creating the software and selling it. How hard can it be? Heck even ASUS has their own SSD caching in conjunction with Marvell.