Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 19, 2012, 05:46 PM
Rookie

Default ssd, worth it? if so, which one?

i currently have a western digital caviar blue 500gb hdd and i was thinking of upgrading to a ssd, i dont do much other than game and surf the web, my question is, would buying a ssd be worth it? how much increase in game performance could i see? i know fast drives are good for recording games with fraps (and other programs) which i might do a little of, but mainly i plan on just playing Gw2 (a mmo, idk if that means anything just wondering) and if getting an ssd is worth it, which one should i get? (i would need to clone my data off my hardrive to the ssd so a company that can do that would be nice) my maximum price is about 180$ and i would need around 200gb - 250gb

Ty for your time and Cthulhu bless you all
Old March 19, 2012, 06:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do people ever read before posting??

which ssd to get?
Old March 19, 2012, 09:33 PM
Rookie

im asking 2 different questions 1 of which is extremely different than that forum, sooo
Old March 25, 2012, 07:05 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I researched this a while ago.

If I understand you correctly, cloning mean carbon copying your OS and stuff directly to a new drive. No, this is not recommended. It can greatly reduce the performance of the drive. Do a fresh install of windows.

SSDs won't improve game performance at all, just load times. I have one and windows loads within seconds, and games start insanely fast.

Thats all I know about the subject. Even the slowest of SSDs will be really fast compared to the fastest HDDs.
Old March 25, 2012, 07:39 AM
Allstar

I have a few ... installed one in a netbook over a year ago very fast boot and loading of apps. There is also a benefit with lower power consumption ...

I would not install on gaming PC ...

I just purchased an intel 520 a week ago ... nice drive.
Intel and others have migration software to go from hdd to ssd ... anyone have experiences with that?

Might give migration a try ...
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...&DwnldID=19324

This shows it in action however it's from ssd to ssd.
From hdd to ssd might just need to check the Intel Toobox to make sure all is optimized ...
Intel Data Migration Software Walkthrough Tutorial for SSD Upgrades Linus Tech Tips - YouTube

Last edited by yamawho; March 25, 2012 at 07:50 AM.