Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 14, 2012, 09:08 AM
MVP

Default What happened to hard drive prices?!

I've been out of the computer hardware knowledge game for a little bit now and I'm looking at maybe getting a second drive for my system now because I'm running low on space and don't want to burn a stack of discs. I'm looking at just a plain Jane internal SATA drive and holy crap what happened with the prices? Newegg and NCIX for example I'm having a hard time finding anything cheaper than $80 or $90...and that's for about 300GB. I seem to recall that just last year you could get a terabyte drive for that much in some cases. I understand the SATA 3 and SATA 6 capabilities now but wow I would have thought you could find a hard drive cheaper than that now. I have a motherboard capable of taking advantage of SATA3 (specs in sig are out of date) but honestly don't want to shell out $80 for a relatively small drive. Does anyone know of any good deals?
Old March 14, 2012, 09:29 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The flood in Thailand caused it basically.

Retailers Respond to Upcoming HDD Shortage by Limiting Purchases & Hiking Prices | Hardware Canucks

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old March 14, 2012, 09:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

All the spin drives and good fan bearings are made in japan, I bet you money though another country is already in the works to be making these things in case this happens again.
Old March 23, 2012, 02:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I just scored a brand new full retail Seagate 2TB Green off Ebay for $110 shipped with 4.5 years warranty left. There's deals out there, just not as good as they were before the consumer rape by hard drive companies forcing us to pay for their lack of insight and planning for natural disasters.
Old April 2, 2012, 12:25 AM
MVP

That's unfortunate! Look what happens when you take all the jobs away from us tisk tisk.
Guess I'll be buying a spindle of DVDs for now.
Old April 2, 2012, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think hard drive prices will ever come down. It's basically a duopoly with little competition now that SSDs are so "cheap."
Old April 2, 2012, 02:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
I don't think hard drive prices will ever come down. It's basically a duopoly with little competition now that SSDs are so "cheap."
They are and have been comming back into something that is more sane. They will have to knock them back if they want to make up for the lost revenue.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 3, 2012, 12:34 AM
Allstar

There's a small drop in price already compared to last Oct to Dec. The price will not come back down at least end of this year, at least that is what Seagate is saying.
Old April 3, 2012, 04:41 AM
Allstar

I feel your pain ...

The last hdd I purchased was a 1TB WD black edition for 69$ before the floods.

I have since reorganized my backups and such. Despite a 500GB WD failing on me during the process, I have a few decent ones left a 1TB and a 500GB.

My focus is on SSD's now ...
Old April 3, 2012, 01:18 PM
Rookie

hard drive prices are always ridiculous....