Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 14, 2012, 04:34 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default which ssd to get?

i was planing to get ssd but didnt know which to get.
i was thinking the 128gig crucial m4 for $169 or the 120gig patriot pyro SE for $159.
1)which is faster?
2)which is more reliable?
3)or should i get something else?

i live in australia, so they price is retarded and the range sucks.

thanks
Old March 14, 2012, 06:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

I love my 240GB Intel 520!

Old March 14, 2012, 07:20 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

With Intel you buy stable stuff with low(est?) RMA rate. I own an 120Gb 510 and I'll soon expand with a 180Gb 520.

Yeah I am sold to them. If you have the money go for Intel.

Gameplay > Graphics ... oh wait

Food > Gameplay > Graphics > Movies > Sleep > Work
Old March 14, 2012, 07:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would go the M4
Old March 14, 2012, 08:51 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Of those two I would get the M4. Its a VERY good SSD.

If you are open to other suggestions the Intel 520 is what I would go with If available.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 14, 2012, 08:22 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

the 120gig intel 520 cost $224, is it worth it to spend $60 more?
Old March 14, 2012, 08:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazushio View Post
the 120gig intel 520 cost $224, is it worth it to spend $60 more?
That depends, how big of a deal is $60 to you? The 520 is a better drive, but not way better

I got the m4 over the intel 520 since there is not a significant performance and to me $60 saved is money! Considering SSDs are already expensive i couldn't justify the extra money.

The M4 is probably the best performance per dollar per GB SSD right now. The intel 520 is the best SSD.

Go with the M4
Old March 15, 2012, 03:14 AM
MVP

I have to agree. The M4's are way overstated. They are a slower drive but very reliable.

However the Intel 520 series are way better in every way. Much better warranty, Quality, and it is faster in both reads AND writes.

Quote:

Crucial M4 128GB - THREE Year Warranty
  • Sustained Sequential Read: Up to 500 MB/s(SATA 6Gb/s)
  • Sustained Sequential Write: Up to 175 MB/s(SATA 6Gb/s

Quote:

Intel 520 120GB SSD - FIVE Year Warranty

120GB
SATA 6Gb/s 550 MB/s / 500 MB/s
SATA 3Gb/s 280 MB/s / 260 MB/s

If you act fast....the Intel 520 120GB is ON SALE RIGHT NOW FOR 179.99 on the NCIX sale.

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Online PC Discount Store, Buy Computer Accessories

You will not be disappointed with Intels quality and 5 year warranty.

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken

Last edited by Mena; March 15, 2012 at 03:45 AM.
Old March 17, 2012, 01:14 AM
Rookie

I have to disagree. I have two of each, the 520's and the M4's.

The 520 will win any bench with 0-fill data, but otherwise the crucial is right there. Not to mention the M4 has about two years under it's belt and the 520 about two months.

Intel still has much driver work to do with the toolbox and 520's also. with their own RSTe driver their own toolbox does not work, nice one Intel.

Bottom line for me with these two is get the cheapest.
Old March 17, 2012, 05:48 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooRules View Post
I have to disagree. I have two of each, the 520's and the M4's.

The 520 will win any bench with 0-fill data, but otherwise the crucial is right there. Not to mention the M4 has about two years under it's belt and the 520 about two months.

Intel still has much driver work to do with the toolbox and 520's also. with their own RSTe driver their own toolbox does not work, nice one Intel.

Bottom line for me with these two is get the cheapest.
Umm...exactly where did you get your (mis)information (thats bordering on FUD)? I've been using the Toolbox on TWO different rigs on TWO different 520 240s since BEFORE they hit shelves. The toolbox WORKS fine with 520s.

Considering I use Intel RST drivers there goes that part of your misinformation as well.

Intel has been working on the 520's firmware for over a year (more like 18+mths actually)...not 2 months. They took the time to get it RIGHT before they released their CUSTOM firmware sf2281 drive.

The M4 is a very powerful SSD. No doubt about it. Up until the 520 is was THE ssd I would recommend to first time users. But the 520 is faster and easier to setup and keep from getting into a degraded state.

On RMA's both are basically the best in the industry. BUT my experience is for North America...no idea on down under where the OP lives. OP, its best to ask around see if there is an edge one way or the other....besides the obvious 5yr vs 3yr warranty. ;)

I am not an Intel Fanboi. I am a consumer Fanboi. I dont care about the label on the outside. I just care about what a drive can do. I have basically used & tested damn near every main stream SSD out there. My own personal rigs run 520s and M4s. Both are best of the best of the best. Either are kick ass choices. But the edge goes to Intel.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr