Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17, 2012, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Intel 520 on sale at Memory Express this weekend! Might pick that up and return my sealed Crucial M4.
Old March 17, 2012, 08:17 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Umm...exactly where did you get your (mis)information (thats bordering on FUD)? I've been using the Toolbox on TWO different rigs on TWO different 520 240s since BEFORE they hit shelves. The toolbox WORKS fine with 520s.

Considering I use Intel RST drivers there goes that part of your misinformation as well.

Intel has been working on the 520's firmware for over a year (more like 18+mths actually)...not 2 months. They took the time to get it RIGHT before they released their CUSTOM firmware sf2281 drive.

The M4 is a very powerful SSD. No doubt about it. Up until the 520 is was THE ssd I would recommend to first time users. But the 520 is faster and easier to setup and keep from getting into a degraded state.

On RMA's both are basically the best in the industry. BUT my experience is for North America...no idea on down under where the OP lives. OP, its best to ask around see if there is an edge one way or the other....besides the obvious 5yr vs 3yr warranty. ;)

I am not an Intel Fanboi. I am a consumer Fanboi. I dont care about the label on the outside. I just care about what a drive can do. I have basically used & tested damn near every main stream SSD out there. My own personal rigs run 520s and M4s. Both are best of the best of the best. Either are kick ass choices. But the edge goes to Intel.
Intel Toolbox works fine on my 520s as well.

Just saying.

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old March 18, 2012, 12:20 PM
Rookie

Intel 520 series or Samsung 830 series are safe bets