Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Just got my SSD and I have a question....or 2 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/52423-just-got-my-ssd-i-have-question-2-a.html)

BOOG1964 March 13, 2012 03:36 PM

Just got my SSD and I have a question....or 2

Hello Gents,

My 120gb Mushkin Chronos SSD just arrived. I have never owned a SSD and was wondering how to get games and drivers from my Seagate 1tb HHD to my new SSD. Also should I start off with a clean install of Win7 to the SSD or just transfer everything from my HDD to it and the delete what I dont want on the SSD???Also anyone out there use a Mushkin SSD and if so is it a ok SSD??? I got it for 129 bux so all I can do now is pray LOL. Thanks in advanced for and help provided .

Mena March 13, 2012 03:45 PM

Here are a few steps that will enhance performance.

1.) BACKUP EVERYTHING AND DOWNLOAD LATEST DRIVERS FROM EVERYTHING....put on flash drive or DVD.
2.) Make sure that you have your SATA Controller set to ACHI mode in your mobos BIOS. This will greatly make things faster.
3.) Install a FRESH copy of Windows on SSD. ( yes this is highly recommended when switching HDD types )
4.) How much RAM do you have? Consider making a RAM DISK and putting your page file on that if you have a LOT of RAM ( > 12GB )

Mushkin is a great brand. I am sure that you will enjoy your new SSD. I would keep the Seagate as a storage drive/Game drive.

Also make sure you plug your new SSD into a SATA 3 port....if your motherboard has one.

Jake_HT March 13, 2012 03:56 PM

Refer to AKG's sticky in this forum for what to do to setup your SSD.

DO install windows fresh, that way it works right. It doesn't take long to get it all back to normal. Took me 2 evenings

AkG March 13, 2012 04:13 PM

As others have said...nuke and start from scratch. Its the only way to be sure. ;)

Your Mushy Chronos is a decent mid-entry level modern gen SSD, that uses 25nm ONFI 1.0 NAND. Its basically the same as the OCZ Agility 3 or Corsair Force 3.

BOOG1964 March 13, 2012 06:01 PM

So I use the SSD as a boot drive can I play games or use stuff off the old Hard drive??? and use the SSD for my online games????

Mena March 13, 2012 06:58 PM

You WILL have to reinstall your games....you cannot expect to use a game after a windows is reinstalled.

IITSChiefII March 13, 2012 07:35 PM

Ya of course you can example the way I have my system setup, crucial m4 128gb ssd for OS with all my office, photo/video editing programs and my 2 fav games Skyrim and Diablo 3 beta. The rest of my games world of warcraft, Battlefield 3, NFS hot pursuit, Cod mw3 I have on a 300GB Raptor. I keep all my photos, videos, documents etc on a 2nd 300GB encrypted Raptor. I also setup a 8GB Ramdisk that acts as the location for all windows temp files, internet temp files, download location etc. You have a lot of options you can do. You're going to love SSDs, a virus scan used to take me an hour+ now on my M4 6 mins.

Also I notice your using an old X58 board like me the sata 6GB/s ports on X58 boards are handled by a 3rd party controller like marvel unlike sandy bridge where its handled by Intel, those 3rd party 6GB/s ports can sometimes (mostly)be worse than the 3GB/s Intel ports, so if u end up having problems or it being slow try switching to the Intel ports. that's also one of the big reasons why I want to upgrade to Ivy bridge next month.

Mena March 13, 2012 08:34 PM

I remain doubtful Cheif. A lot of games use the registry to work. Thos registry keys will need to be put back in. Not to mention some games put critical files in the "program files" folder which is also a part of Windows.

IITSChiefII March 13, 2012 09:21 PM

Sorry I was trying to say he can use the SSD for OS and install his fav games on it and at the same time install extra games on that seagate. But ya forsure he would need to reinstall everything on that seagate once he has his new SSD going as OS.

I just looked up his board to it uses the marvell 6gb/s chip from what I just googled doesn't look like it supports trim so he might want to use the Intel 3GB/s port anyway seeing as it would be close to the same speed anyway.

geokilla March 13, 2012 09:38 PM

I got my Crucial M4 and considering reinstalling Windows onto it this weekend. BUT I'm too lazy to do a format. Why is life so difficult? :(

Do we really need a dedicated page file partition? I usually leave it in C drive. It won't be in the SSD right?