Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13, 2012, 09:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
I got my Crucial M4 and considering reinstalling Windows onto it this weekend. BUT I'm too lazy to do a format. Why is life so difficult? :(

Do we really need a dedicated page file partition? I usually leave it in C drive. It won't be in the SSD right?
It is recommended to move the page file to a HDD to prolong the live of your solid state, you don't need a seperate partition per say, just a different non SS drive. AKG's guide has step by step instructions to set up your SSD properly. Very easy.

I got an M4 a couple weeks ago, amazing drive
Old March 14, 2012, 03:55 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for all the awsome info looks like this weekend will be a uninstall reinstall games and fresh install and update of windows. Now when I reinstall my games I want my online MMORP on my SSD and then my solo games and files and pics on my HDD. I dont know if I could do the RAM disk thingy I do have 12gb RAM for it. I am very sad if my MoB dosnt support Trim I may have to upgrade my board.
Old March 14, 2012, 04:03 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

This brings up another question: How much dose a SSD affect my online gaming??? If I have a Trim support only on my Sata2 ports will this affect my gaming????
Old March 14, 2012, 04:27 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Your board has trim support forsure on the 6 black sata ports running on the intel chip, the two white ports are running on a marvell chip and from a quick google search looks like current drivers dont support trim.

For gaming you wont notice a diffrence between sata 3gb/s vs 6gb/s ssd's are already so much faster then HDD's. I installed skyrim on my ramdisk and it was barely noticeable and ram is a TON faster then any ssd so no you wont notice a difference.
Old March 14, 2012, 01:48 PM
MVP

My System Specs

You want to make sure the SSD is set to use AHCI which can be forced on after the fresh install, and best to have it set to 4k format, also once installed do set the paging files correctly for all drives that will be in the system(tends to keep things faster) disable compression, defrag for the SSD and in my case I made sure prefetch and superfetch were also turned off (they serve next to no benefit for an SSD anyways) also do make sure TRIM is enabled there is a really easy way to double check this.

Now if you want the SSD to keep its speed for far longer, things like Favorites, pictures, even most documents really do not need to be on the SSD they see next to no benefit of it anways, you can put those on your secondary drive, it will keep as much crud off the SSD so it keeps its speed longer. While you are at it, you can even set partitions for your mechanical drive to make the most of the speed it has. Example a partition set for the paging file in the fastest portion of the mechnical drive, another partition set for drives and such etc. I know my caviar black is nowhere near the speed of my agility 3, but the partitioning of the CB 640 does help it alot, and rarely do I notice it "looking" for what I want it to open.

Hope this helps some :)
Old March 14, 2012, 02:56 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I understand I will have to reinstall games on my hdd to be able to work with the ssd boot drive. Now what about pics on the hdd do I have to reinstall them also??? I also have win7 on the hdd will that have to be reinstalled or removed??? Should I just nuke the HDD also and start fresh all the way??? If I do wipe the hdd clean will I need to install win 7 on it also???? Thanks again for all of your help with this fellas the old man really appritiates it( Im the OLD Man BTW :) )
Old March 14, 2012, 04:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

Your pictures and data are fine on the old hard drive. You can safely leave it the way it is, short of deleleting the existing Windows directory after you make sure you have all your needed files out of it.

Old March 14, 2012, 04:29 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I need to delete win7 off the old HDD when I get the SSD win 7 going????
Old March 14, 2012, 04:41 PM
MVP

Yes...It is actually best if you back up all you want to save on the old HDD.....ERASE IT....then put your stuff back on. If you have two drives with Windows on it it will confuse your computer and it will try to startup from the wrong drive.

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old March 14, 2012, 06:12 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Ok Im hoping Im saving the right stuff putting it all on CDs . I have gathered all cds that came with my computer and will have wifes laptop for internet access for emergancy help situations which I hope I dont have LOL. I think I will try this on Sat. Now heres another question how do I erase my HDD after I install Win7 on the SSD??? Im sorry Im such a noob but I have to start somewhere :)