Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 29, 2012, 04:42 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Region Unlocking Blu-ray ASUS BC-12B1ST

Hey Everyone,

I have an asus BC-12B1ST OEM drive in my main PC. I want to unlock the region on it (via firmware hack or however), but could use some help as I haven't found much online myself. I have a few British DVDs I bought when I was living across the pond that I'd really like to watch, but I don't want to switch codes and eventually lock myself into one region.

Any tips/suggestions? I've found some f/w hacks for pioneers, but not for this drive.

Thanks
Old February 29, 2012, 05:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Are they not the same as DVD drives in that regard? I believe you are allowed to switch the region a few times before it locks to a certain region.

Go to device manager and then go to the properties on your blu-ray drive. Then look for a region tab, in there you can change the region. At least I know it was like this for the dvd drives. I have a new drive I have not adjusted the region on and it says I have 4 changes left before it locks.

Old February 29, 2012, 05:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

kind of old but warning third party firmware The Dangerous Brothers Present....
Old February 29, 2012, 06:30 PM
Rookie

Well you could just grab the iso and mount it. Imgburn and VirtualCloneDrive, or DaemonTools
Old February 29, 2012, 09:23 PM
Allstar

Or pick up a second drive used/cheap (if there is such a thing as a cheap BD drive) and use it for the second region. Expensive option I know but ...
Old March 2, 2012, 11:27 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
Or pick up a second drive used/cheap (if there is such a thing as a cheap BD drive) and use it for the second region. Expensive option I know but ...
Thanks for the tips everyone. I had an old samsung DVD drive that I had in an external 5.25 enclosure from way back in the day (like 2002). I gave it a shot and it turns out that it's region free, so I'm able to use it for now (and for some reason I swear I put a region free hack in it lol). Turns out hanging onto old tech pays off on occasion!