Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 27, 2012, 08:25 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default I want an ssd, need advice

After trying my new server (920, 24gb ddr3 ECC, 120GB intel ssd) and realizing how freaking fast it was I think I've decided I want to get a ssd for my day to day pc, now I would like to install some games on it (love the 6870x2 thanks guys :)) and I will have two 2TB blacks in raid1 for my important files and backups.

I think I would like to go for a 320gb SSD, what is the best ssd on the market at the moment? I know it's always changing and there's new revisions out every few months but would just like some input. I would like to run xp on it as well, is that a big problem not having trim?
Old February 27, 2012, 08:53 AM
Top Prospect

The Crucuial M4's and Intel 520's seem to be the most recommended SSD's these days. I've been quite pleased with my Vertex 2's that I'm running, but they are quite dated compared to today's tech.

Regarding the size, I don't think 320GB SSD's exist, as far as I know...so, you might have to settle on a 240GB. There are 480GB SSD's if you want to go bigger, but they are quite expensive.

Running WinXP should be OK as the garbage collection on the drive will keep things running smooth. Also, be sure to create your XP partition on a Windows 7 PC (or any "4K aware" OS) so that it has proper 4K alignment. :)
Old February 27, 2012, 10:22 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
I would like to run xp on it as well, is that a big problem not having trim?
If you grab the Intel 520 it definitely won't be a problem. Just have the toolbox set up to run maintenance every so often (like AkG recommended in his review) and you'll never have performance suffer.

Intel 520 240GB Cherryville SSD Review
Old February 27, 2012, 11:49 AM

My System Specs

The 240GB Intel 520's should be dropping in price today to around $400. So if 240GB is enough that is what I'd likely do.
Old March 2, 2012, 08:18 PM
Rookie

The mushkin chronos deluxe 240gb is great value given its price tag of $270 :)
Old March 3, 2012, 12:29 AM
Rookie

I don't know why everyone seems to be pushing the Intel 520's so heavily. Geez guys, they've only been out for a month. Intel's usually pretty good, but they've been guilty of extreme exuberance on their products on a few past occasions definitely (Sandy Bridge, Pentium FDIV, even the 320 SSDs had a firmware bug or two).

If I was buying a 320gb SSD today, I'd probably be looking towards the Intel 320 series. Yes, its not the latest/greatest drive, but, IMHO, reliability is far more important than merely having a SATA 6Gbit/sec interface on the drive, and the 320 series has been out for a year.
Old March 3, 2012, 05:53 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Everyone is pushing the 520 as it simply is the best damn SF2281 drive on the market today. Recommending a 320 over it is....a less than optimal recommendation. A better recommendation is to say the Crucial M4 line. Much faster than a 320, great ITGC, etc etc.

Of course your concerns over the 520 only being the market is based on a fallacy. Intel has been internally testing the SF2281 for nearly a year and half now. IF they were suffering from "extreme exuberance" they could have easily beaten OCZ to market. They did not. They waited until the controller and firmware (FYI its their own and not stock like everyone else's) to be ready for prime time. Unlike most companies Intel is extremely conservative when it comes to their Business customers and they consider the 520 to be for BUSINESS users first (OEM laptop mfgers and workstation's to be precise)...and its just a bonus that it is a great home user drive.

How can I state all this with such firm conviction....easy. I talked to them on the phone for a good hour and half before the 520 was released. HWC was one of the first to have a 520 review ready to go and the first (that I am aware of) to have a RAID 520 review. I put over 350hrs of work into those reviews...and know the 520s VERY well. Out of all the SSDs that I have access to, two of my main rigs are - now - running Intel 520s and the third is running a Crucial M4. Make of that what you will. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 3, 2012, 11:04 AM
Allstar

Now if only the 520's were SLC :)
Old March 3, 2012, 03:23 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
Now if only the 520's were SLC :)
Then it wouldnt be called a "520" it would be called a {censored} which will be released on {censored}...or so I have heard. :P

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 3, 2012, 04:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Take a look at the Crucial M4 on sale... Try to price match at Future Shop. Great prices for them.

@AKG. Are there any new SSDs being released in the next couple months? It's hard to resist the power of the M4. I want to upgrade to Ivy Bridge but because it's delayed, I just might get Sandy Bridge instead next month...