Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22, 2012, 11:00 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Kingston RMA

EDIT: Didn't realize there was a detailed Canadian RMA experience thread already. Feel free to delete this if needed.

So my Kingston SSDnow V100 128GB (SV100S2/128GZ) just died on Friday. Friday I turned on my PC and the drive wouldn't show up to boot or show in the bios. I tried the drive with sata cables and MB connectors that definitely worked (running other HDDs) and the drive wouldn't show up, so it looks like it just bit the dust. Luckily it was just my OS drive and no real important files were on it.

I called up Kingston yesterday to start an RMA. There's a 3 year warranty and I purchased the drive Jan 2011. To my surprise, so far the warranty procedure has been great.

First, Kingston provided me with detailed shipping instructions, commerical invoices, and a Fedex account to pay for shipping. This is the first time I've had a company pay for RMA shipping.

Secondly, Kingston said they'd be shipping me back a newer model, the V+200 (SVP200S3/120GB). This drive is based off the Sandforce 2200, which is significantly faster than the V100 drive.

I just mailed off the drive, so hopefully it all goes smoothly from here. I'll update this thread when I hear from Kingston. Overall, my satifaction with RMA process is really high. Normally when a product dies I lose faith in the company and look at other brands, but so far Kingston is keeping my business. Hopefully that doesn't change over the RMA process.

Just thought it was worth posting my experience so far. Often RMAs are horror stories, but so far not this time.