Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Other options than WD ? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/51839-other-options-than-wd.html)

botat29 February 22, 2012 08:26 AM

Other options than WD ?

From what i can see on few forums it seems the consensus is to purchase WD HD, just for my own curiosity, are Seagate that bad? What about Hitachi and Samsung? Do they offer RAM in Canada?
I ask because i RMA 3 of the 10 WD i purchase last 2 years. 1 Green and 2 Black. May be a bad luck but HD seems to be less reliable now.

off topic , when i use "i" in the middle of a sentence do i use the capital form "I" or simply "i"

enaberif February 22, 2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botat29 (Post 604582)
From what i can see on few forums it seems the consensus is to purchase WD HD, just for my own curiosity, are Seagate that bad? What about Hitachi and Samsung? Do they offer RAM in Canada?
I ask because i RMA 3 of the 10 WD i purchase last 2 years. 1 Green and 2 Black. May be a bad luck but HD seems to be less reliable now.

off topic , when i use "i" in the middle of a sentence do i use the capital form "I" or simply "i"

I won't buy Hitatchi ever and feel dirty buying WD. I am a Seagate fan and they are great drives. Don't matter what brand you buy everyone will have issues.

Adzsask February 22, 2012 09:15 AM

I use seagate, and WD HDD's, also have OCZ SSD and have never had a problem, the WD is about 2 years newer then my seagate, and is noticeably getting louder, but the coming on 6 year old seagate is working fine (also traded a PSU for a pair of seagate drives)

Lpfan4ever February 22, 2012 09:24 AM

I have Hitachis, Western Digitals, and Seagates in my house. Hell, even a 100GB Maxtor IDE drive running strong. It's all luck of the draw as to how long a drive is going to last. The nice thing about WD is although their RMA location isn't in Canada, I only had to ship it to Mississauga ($7) and they forwarded it to California. I don't know about any of the others though.

As for your "i" question, always use the capital I when it's alone.

botat29 February 22, 2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever (Post 604607)
The nice thing about WD is although their RMA location isn't in Canada, I only had to ship it to Mississauga ($7) and they forwarded it to California. I don't know about any of the others though.

As for your "i" question, always use the capital I when it's alone.

Many years ago, I remember have sent a Seagate in Ontario, I think it was fast, I don't know if they have advance RMA like WD. Thanks for the "I"

BlueByte February 22, 2012 10:05 AM

I had a rage moment right before HDD prices went up and bought a bunch of Hitachi drives for my home server. I did this because I had recently had a 50% failure rate on Seagate drives 3 years old and WD angered me with their green drives. But I will say I have always had quick service from both companies, but I would say WD wins on the service with cross shipment. My issue is I would rather not have the drives fail in the first place so I thought I would try something else for a change. I will comment on their failure rate in a few years, but so far they have been great.

JD February 22, 2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueByte (Post 604618)
I had a rage moment right before HDD prices went up and bought a bunch of Hitachi drives for my home server. I did this because I had recently had a 50% failure rate on Seagate drives 3 years old and WD angered me with their green drives. But I will say I have always had quick service from both companies, but I would say WD wins on the service with cross shipment. My issue is I would rather not have the drives fail in the first place so I thought I would try something else for a change. I will comment on their failure rate in a few years, but so far they have been great.

Yup I too went through 100% Seagate failure (as in the drives died, I RMA'd them, they died again). At that point I said "f*** this" and replaced them all with Samsung F3's. Running great ever since.

Hard drives are all hit and miss though. I typically use WD in things and haven't had any of them fail yet.

NyteOwl February 22, 2012 10:57 AM

Experiences vary. I have use primarily Seagate for over 20 years and they have been the most reliable (I have an 80MB Seagate from 1987 that is still in use). Despite their wide use, my worst experiences (of any existing company) have been with Western Digital.

It is possible to get a bad drive, or a batch batch from any manufacturer.

botat29 February 23, 2012 04:34 AM

Well, you can add a fourth RMA , today, 10 days after I send one, I have to RMA another 2TB green again. I like when I weak up and see a red icon on my server connector.

Silent_Avenger February 23, 2012 04:43 AM

HDDs from what I always hear from everyone are pretty much luck of the draw if you get a good batch or a bad one or a Monday, Wednesday, Friday drive. I've used Maxtor, WD, Seagate, Hitachi, Toshiba(aka Fujitsu), and Samsung. Never had a problem with any of the drives while I owned them which was at least 2yrs for each brand.