Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2012, 10:06 AM
Rookie

Question Is there an Advantage to one of these SSDs?

Currently about the same price, Does one of these two SSDs have a real advantage over the other?

#1) Mushkin Chronos DELUXE 240GB: Sandforce SF-2281 Controller, Uses 32nm Toggle nand (purportedly longer life write cycles), 3 yr warranty.

#2) Plextor M3 256GB: Uses Marvell controller (better on incompressible data?), 512MB cache (vs 128MB on Crucial M4), 25nm Sych Nand, 5yr warranty.

Not a gamer. Primarily thinking about pic & movie video editing, & DVD backup, where significant intermediate process imaging or transcoded data imaging is done.

I'm thinking that file processing workspace should be on an SSD(?). Consequently, longer write life more important?

Building new system: i7-2600K w/ ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe, 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) CAS-8 RAM. I have several Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB for larger file storage & backup.

Thanks in advance.
Old February 21, 2012, 10:24 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Plextor M3 is basically the same / similar to a Corsair Performance Pro. Its a very good SSD. The Mushy Deluxe is basically the same / similar to an OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS. It also is a very good ssd.

Both are VERY GOOD and you really cant wrong with either of them. But one trades some TRIM environment performance for increased non-Trim performance. Basically I consider Marvel's to be great "jack of all trades" and recomend them to first time SSD users as they are nearly impossible to screw up. SF2281 drives...take more TLC. In return for more TLC you get a bit more performance. BUT both are insanely fast so its not like you will notice the dif unless you are a benchmark junkie. So if I was forced to rank those two drives...(and assuming you are first timer) the nod would go to the Plextor....BUT I would tell you to get the Corsair Performance Pro as Corsair (IMHO) > Plextor for customer service.

IMHO, I would also advise you to look long and hard at the Intel 520. Its toolbox and custom firmware allow it to basically gain all the advantages of a Marvel with ALL (and then some) of the performance of a SF2281 (its a Sf2281 using custom firmware). It is one of the very few SF2281s I recommend to first time SSD users.

YMMV but Intel 520 > Performance Pro > Vertex 3 MI for first time users.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 21, 2012, 10:40 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The mushkin is quicker,my friend bought this drive, and a kingston hyper x(supposedly quickest drive right now). The mushkin looked like it was built better, plus it is the fastest SSD I have seen yet. Not many people have purchased the new plextor drives, so it is unknown if they have driver issues, and how quick they are, life span etc.