Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16, 2012, 03:23 PM
Rookie

Default I need help deciding on a budget storage upgrade.

Ok I have noticed that i am being limited by my Seagate 1.5TB 7200RPM SATA II cause i am unable to record @ 60fps @ 1080p,i think is is because i am getting under 100MB/s read/write speeds lol,so i am going to get an upgrade.(but i don't keeping my old drive if i can) but i just want to be able to record and the video playback smoothly

My sister was owes me $100 and i am willing to spend $50 on top of that, i have been looking newegg.com,and i have picked out 2 diff options.

These 2 things together:
Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F60GBGT-BK 2.5" 60GB SATA III
Newegg.com - Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F60GBGT-BK 2.5" 60GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
SilverStone HDDBOOST HDD Accessory
Newegg.com - SilverStone HDDBOOST HDD Accessory

Or just get one of these:
HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632 (0F12117) 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Newegg.com - HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632 (0F12117) 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

If you don't think should get either,let me know what i should get, or do,but keep in mind i have tried reinstalling my OS,and many other things so i don't think i can just fix it.

Now i have already tried asking this on a fourm i am on a lot,and got trolled,and another guy said something that made no sense to me, he said that "The HDDboost will only make it slower in most of the cases, waste of money, don't buy it."

So what should i do?
Old February 16, 2012, 04:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

im guessing you want to record to the drive while not having your windows installed on it, if so i know a wd black drive will do the job. i have tested out recording at 1080p @60fps and you get around 4gb per 1.2 minutes for file sizes. so i would go for a large storage drive. as you wont get the amount of video footage out of the ssd that you want.

Check this video out for the best explanation

FRAPS - How to Use it and How to Get the Best Performance NCIX Tech Tips - YouTube
Old February 16, 2012, 04:26 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_L View Post
im guessing you want to record to the drive while not having your windows installed on it, if so i know a wd black drive will do the job. i have tested out recording at 1080p @60fps and you get around 4gb per 1.2 minutes for file sizes. so i would go for a large storage drive. as you wont get the amount of video footage out of the ssd that you want.
Well if i was going to go with the SSD, i was going to use it with that HDD boost so it will make my current drive faster, or would that not work out?

EDIT:I have seen that video before,but i can't afford to do what he did and get 2x 120GB SSD's lol WAY over my budget lol

Last edited by trainergames; February 16, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old February 16, 2012, 06:53 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

HDD boost? Like Intel's SSD caching(SRT)? From how I know Intel's SSD caching works if you're writing to the SSD once you get to a certain point you're still limited to your magnetic drive. If what kyle_L says is correct on capacity/minute a 64gb SSD(the limit of Intel SRT) the SSD will only be able to cache about 19.2mins of video so if you're taking fairly lengthy videos at that resolution and frame rate you're still going to be limited to your HDD. I'm sure someone will be able to shed more light on the SSD caching. Have you thought of putting some HDDs in raid 0? That would boost your performance slightly as for how much I wouldn't know you'll have to do a little searching to see if you can find some benchmarks with the program you use.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old February 16, 2012, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i would go with a sata3 6gbs Western Digital drive, the hdd boost will only help loading programs and what not and not help you with your data recording.
Old February 16, 2012, 09:14 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_L View Post
i would go with a sata3 6gbs Western Digital drive, the hdd boost will only help loading programs and what not and not help you with your data recording.
Can you suggest a good one for $150? keep in mind i will most likly copy my current drive to the new drive(using seagate disk wizard)and the use the new drive as my main drive.
Old February 16, 2012, 10:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

depending on how much stuff you already have on it, this may work.
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM - Western Digital WD - WD1002FAEX
it's right at your budget (a little over after tax and shipping) but it's only 1TB. however it's sata3, and it's bloody fast, so you shouldn't have much of an issue with it.
what I might suggest is that you get a fairly large SSD to record to then after you've finished recording, you edit it down and save it to your 1.5 that you already have.
Old February 16, 2012, 11:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It might be cheaper (free) to just set up a large RAM cache to defer your HDD writes. Current drive prices are pretty horrible given the global shortage. If this isn't anything mission critical I would try something like this first: FancyCache Overview
Old February 17, 2012, 01:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ram is a really bad idea for video files that are going to be that big. that's why I suggested an SSD, the price on them hasn't changed much, and it's a very fast storage media.
Old February 17, 2012, 10:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

Guys, c'mon. we're writing HD video here. This requires moderate sequential write speeds with a TON of space. SSDs and Ramcaches are not the answer.

First thing's first, make sure your hard drive is defragmented. if the program has a contiguous line of free space, it will make speeds a whole ton faster.

Secondly, writing to an otherwise inactive drive (i.e, not the drive windows resides on, OR or pagefile) will benefit greatly. I don't know how much ram you have, but if you're constantly writing to virtual memory because your computer is bogged down with other crap, that's certainly not going to help.

Third, if you're purchasing a new drive, use THAT drive to write to. Chances are it's going to be more dense, making write speeds just that bit faster. Of course this entirely depends on what drive you're going to buy.

Another option you have is RAID 0. if you buy a similarly sized drive and RAID them together, you'll have two drives acting as one, giving you a nice speed increase.

The "other guy" was right though, that HDDBoost won't help you, at least in this situation. However I think it's prudent to list your computer's specifications here, and your recording program and settings. Maybe we can fish out other details that will help you.