Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 17, 2012, 09:04 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
Guys, c'mon. we're writing HD video here. This requires moderate sequential write speeds with a TON of space. SSDs and Ramcaches are not the answer.

First thing's first, make sure your hard drive is defragmented. if the program has a contiguous line of free space, it will make speeds a whole ton faster.

Secondly, writing to an otherwise inactive drive (i.e, not the drive windows resides on, OR or pagefile) will benefit greatly. I don't know how much ram you have, but if you're constantly writing to virtual memory because your computer is bogged down with other crap, that's certainly not going to help.

Third, if you're purchasing a new drive, use THAT drive to write to. Chances are it's going to be more dense, making write speeds just that bit faster. Of course this entirely depends on what drive you're going to buy.

Another option you have is RAID 0. if you buy a similarly sized drive and RAID them together, you'll have two drives acting as one, giving you a nice speed increase.

The "other guy" was right though, that HDDBoost won't help you, at least in this situation. However I think it's prudent to list your computer's specifications here, and your recording program and settings. Maybe we can fish out other details that will help you.
Ok sorry i did not anwser earlier but i was at work here is my system:

CPU:AMD FX-8150 @3.6ghz
CPU COOLER:Cooler Master Hyper 212+
MOBO:ASUS ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
GPU:Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
RAM:2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600mhz
CASE:Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
PSU:Cougar 1000w

and here is a link to the the exact hard drive i am currently using Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I am using Fraps to record,here is a pic of fraps so you can see what settings i use.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us