Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2012, 06:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default New SSD, Have a question on disk settings?

OK, I bought a Corsair F60 SSD for $40 bucks. It is refurbished. I cleaned installed windows 7 and using it as my windows boot disk. I followed some tweaks about super fetch, disk defrag, TRIM etc. and stuff. I also moved the page file to my second HDD. I am using Tune-up Utl 2012. And in Turbo mode. that turns of System restore. Which is nice. My question is in the device manager, properites and policies/writing cache. Should "Enable write cache" be checked or uncheck, as well as"Turn of windows write cache buffer flushing on device" left unchecked or should it be checked? Thanks for any help.

Last edited by ern88; February 9, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old February 10, 2012, 09:00 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I will go through what I remember that I had done(that and I need to help a buddy do the same today :P)
This applies more to the SSD but you can expand the concept as needed.
disk compression agent off
indexing off for the SSD side of things
AHCI on
make sure TRIM enabled
Defrag off
super fetch/prefetch off
paging file per drive being used(1.5x initial size 3x max size per +/- 8gb I give 11500-17500 on a 20gb partition) preferably on its own partition and shortstroked as in as close to the leading edge as possible. I use mini tool partition wizard home edition for windows 7, works well(it generally doesnt hurt anything as long as you have sufficent room left, and helps performance as well)
Write cache I have mine turned off. SSD in general already have oodles of performance, the way I looked at it, the less likely the information on the drive can be corrupted, the better
Write cache buffer flushing is tied to the above so this would be off as well.

As a point note, am sure you know, but you can put things like favorites, documents etc on any drive, you just have to associate the OS drive with said files/folders new location, can save a fair amount of space up this way. Of course the less crud on the SSD the longer it will last, TRIM BGC are able to do thier thing easier, and the longer the performance it has.

It took me awhile to get it all sorted out what can be moved where, but it helps alot, and the speed difference by having said things on my SSD documents and such compare to my caviar black 640 are minute at worse or no difference, the only thing I found is the anti-virus, which was initially installed to SSD now on CB drive, this was a huge speed difference, but save alot of space.

60 gb-58 formated-~24.5gb free :)
Old February 10, 2012, 11:39 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks for the tips. I have indexing off and turned off Write cache as well. I have moved like the temp files and internet temp files as well as the installer info to my HDD. I can boot up from Bios in like 24 sec. With everything loaded. Not bad.
Old July 5, 2012, 12:57 PM
Allstar

Nice list of tips, Partition Wizard is a great program. Thanks.
I'm surprised SSD's aren't tailored to today's operating systems. With all the tweaks listed above it's like SSD's are from the distant future and were built for O/s's far beyond Win7. My case doesn't even have 2.5" bays, the adaptor will add $7+tax, not really something I want to pay for.

I'm still running a platter HDD, I'll time my next cold bootup with a stopwatch, 24 seconds sounds awfully long for an SSD.
edit: 49 seconds from pushing the power button cold until the desktop appears. :/

Last edited by On2wheels; July 5, 2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old July 8, 2012, 02:48 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On2wheels View Post
Nice list of tips, Partition Wizard is a great program. Thanks.
I'm surprised SSD's aren't tailored to today's operating systems. With all the tweaks listed above it's like SSD's are from the distant future and were built for O/s's far beyond Win7. My case doesn't even have 2.5" bays, the adaptor will add $7+tax, not really something I want to pay for.

I'm still running a platter HDD, I'll time my next cold bootup with a stopwatch, 24 seconds sounds awfully long for an SSD.
edit: 49 seconds from pushing the power button cold until the desktop appears. :/
With Cruical 256 gig I am at about 18 seconds total for speed context
Old July 9, 2012, 01:20 AM
Rookie

No point in tweaking anything on Win7.

See THG study on the negative impact of the so-called amazing 'tweaks' people seem to be doing. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...weak,2911.html

Overall I recommend the following as per MS own tech blog and benchmarking guide.
Performance Testing Guide for Windows

Please remember that this is advice for best performance possible, not usability, system restore is usefull as are most functions in Windows. Disabling Indexing or moving your Pagefile is a waste of time for most users.

Amazing how many people always want to 'tweak' something that ain't really borked.