Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2012, 07:05 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Weird sound in my WD Caviar Green 500Gb

Hi,
This was happening from last 4yrs. with my two HDDs, both are Green!
When i used to own dual-core pc, i had a 320GB caviar green HDD, idk but some cricking sound came from it! Its not that crrrrrrrrr! type but only simply low crick! whenever i open drives or folders!

m confused as recently i purchased HDD caviar green 500GB after 2 days, same voice comes out of it! plz guyz tell me if its going to damage stage then i should backup? or this is something else??

PLZ!! :S

Thnx
Old February 10, 2012, 08:14 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

PLZ anybody help me :S
Old February 10, 2012, 09:13 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Mine has clicked when first used after shutting of since I bought it (over2 years ago) It is still working so I would just do a back up every now and then and use it normally.
Old February 10, 2012, 10:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hmm, so i simply should make a backup in case of...Btw, is ur Agility 3 working fine, i was thinking to purchase an SSd but confused b/w Vertex 3 and Agility 3 as heard many firmware issue with SandForce-2281. Is that ryt, and wherever i see, every1 is advising me about Crucial M4! Wat u say?
Old February 10, 2012, 11:21 AM
Top Prospect

I agree with Adzsask in getting your data backed up.

TBH, I think what you're hearing are just seek noises (light grinding/creaking kind of noise...sorry, it's hard to describe the sound) which are normal. If your concerned, you can submit it for RMA if it's under warranty. I recently sent back a WD RE3 for RMA and they were great to deal with...no hassle and the entire process took just over a week.
Old February 10, 2012, 03:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by taimoorali007 View Post
Hmm, so i simply should make a backup in case of...Btw, is ur Agility 3 working fine, i was thinking to purchase an SSd but confused b/w Vertex 3 and Agility 3 as heard many firmware issue with SandForce-2281. Is that ryt, and wherever i see, every1 is advising me about Crucial M4! Wat u say?
My agility 3 is working perfectly so far, only had it since 2nd week of december, but so far so good load times were cut in half. The sandforce issues were driver related, and are now sorted out , but normally I would tell everyone to grab the M4 crucial, but why pay more now when the issues are gone.
Old February 10, 2012, 05:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Make sure the drive isn't being used, and then run the WD diagnostic tool on them: WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD Caviar Green / GP
If the tool generates any error message, copy-paste the error message (a code of some sort) into WD's RMA form to begin the RMA process. If there's no errors, then I'd just continue using the drives - depending on how you filled up the drive or what you're doing, you'll get different seeking sounds from them.

You always want backup copies of any data you don't want to miss. It prevents the from you and the from many forum-goers here due to the posting "I lost my data" type thread. Don't forget how software, weather, and other living entities can take out storage devices.
Old February 11, 2012, 10:54 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yea, ur ryt, I SHOULD BACKUP MY DATA!

Thnx for the help guyz, my WD is under warranty, so i think i should contact them! :)

thnx again!
Old February 12, 2012, 01:23 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisw19 View Post
I agree with Adzsask in getting your data backed up.

TBH, I think what you're hearing are just seek noises (light grinding/creaking kind of noise...sorry, it's hard to describe the sound) which are normal. If your concerned, you can submit it for RMA if it's under warranty. I recently sent back a WD RE3 for RMA and they were great to deal with...no hassle and the entire process took just over a week.
This is what I think as well.
Old February 12, 2012, 11:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

YEa, 0 error found!

Thnx Guyz Again! :)