Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2012, 03:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Updating ssd BEFORE my build?

Hi there. I'm building my new computer (first time!) this weekend, and I have some specific questions about firmware updates for ssds.

I plan to use an OCZ Vertex 3 120gb for my boot drive, and a Hitachi 7k3000 3tb for storage. I've read you can't update the firmware on an SSD that is the primary drive, so how can I do this from my laptop??

Assuming I need to...

I bought the SSD on October 1/2011, so maybe it has the current firmware. I can't seem to find dates for recent firmware releases.

I'll be honest, all the problems I read about Sandforce have me a bit intimidated by SSD ownership. All I have right now are components in boxes and my trusty old laptop. I have no friends that have PC's that I may use to plug in my drive to update it, they all own Macs! Is there some SATA to USB adapter I can get to plug the drive into my laptop to update it?

Thanks for the help.

Jordan.
Old February 7, 2012, 03:26 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Here is how you can update it "in place":

Firmware update Tools for OCZ Vertex2/3, Agility2/3, Solid3, Revo, and Ibis SSD's

Current version is 2.15

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr