Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2012, 11:11 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I have yet to pick up a retail version - I have two here now sent direct from Intel {hint} {hint} - and both were the Desktop Insattallation kit version: SSDSC2CW240A3K5. It comes with the 2.5-3.5 bracket (IMHO one of the best examples of this type to come with a SSD), SATA Cable, SATA power, molex adapter and the migration software. For a kit...its pretty impressive and while I no longer bother talking about such peripherals (as most fail to impress) Intel knows how to do it right. Hope that helps.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 12, 2012, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hmmm hint hint eh?

Man I do want one of these, but considering I already have a 240GB Corsair Force 3, I highly doubt I could convince my wife to let me get one of these.

Old February 12, 2012, 06:19 PM
Top Prospect

Hmmm. It will be time to upgrade very soon for me to replace my stripe RAIDed 160GB Intel SSDs.
Old February 13, 2012, 07:38 AM
Rookie

Question Confused by Real World Data Tranfer charts

Did I miss something? I'm trying to understand why this chart in this review is has different results for at least some(?) of the other compared SSDs. Or have I made a mistake?

For example: On the Real World Data Transfer Charts, specifically the Small File Copy (surely not 10GB as labeled?) the MUSHKIN Chronos (Deluxe) 120GB SSD has a performance of 199.7 MB/s copy from, and 134.2 copy MB/s to.

In the review of the MUSHKIN SSD, dated August 29, 2011, these figures are 159.5 copy from and 130.1 copy to, respectively.

Why did they change? Are your similarly labeled charts not comparable between reviews? Are the firmwares changed?

Appears to make comparisons previously reported dicey?
Old February 13, 2012, 08:56 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

We ALWAYS update firmwares before any new review so the results seen in previous reviews may not always line up.
Old April 9, 2012, 08:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

As I mentioned before,

I bought my VERTEX 120GB (Indilinx barefoot) on AKG's recommendation back in 2009.
Time to retire the 'ol Vertex 1 to secondary line of duty. It never failed me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Thanks guys. This drive IS the "go to" drive of this generation. Bar none.

I truly doubt Intel will ever use anything but their own ONFi NAND...as they have complete control over the product....whereas with Toggle Mode NAND they would not and be at the whims of the market and another company. The minor performance hit is more than made up with increased reliability.

YMMV but I think this is not only the best SSD Intel has made but the best SF2281 drive ever created. It has impressed me like no other SF drive.
Now, after reading this review, I canceled my Crucial M4 128GB order and I ordered the Intel 520 120GB @ $185 retail packaging pricematched (it ended up $5 more than OEM drive)...Crossing fingers!

I was against buying a Sandforce-based drive after the screw-ups, but Intel's magic might be what was missing...I also like the fact that the drives are coming with a good "toolbox utility"....
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old November 17, 2012, 03:32 PM
Allstar

Anyone know if they have fixed the problem with AES-256 on these or is it inherent to the SF-2281? I sent an e-mail to Intel but haven't heard back.
Old November 17, 2012, 06:01 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I believe it is an issue with the SF2281 controller. My guess - but it has been a little while since I looked into it - is that it will be fixed when LSI comes out with the SF3281 (or whatever they call the third gen SF controller).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 18, 2012, 11:01 AM
Allstar

Ah ok. I suspected as much. AES-128 isn't bad - was just curious if they'd found a fix.