Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 2, 2012, 10:11 AM
Rookie

Default Old hard drive on new PC.

here's my story.. one day I decided to sell my old computer parts.. all of it.. excluding the Hard drive.. I figured that rather then buying a new HDD , wouldn't it be better to just use the same Hard drive instead? but unfortunately.. I have sold my old computer.. now I don't have a desktop PC to format my Hard drive. my question is :
the old Hard drive I'm planning on re-using is a Samsung spinpoint 1TB hard drive it has a windows 7 home premium installed on it. how do I format this Hard drive,delete all of it's files including win 7 home premium and install a new windows 7 ultimate without my old computer? could I just put the hard drive on my new PC build and do it there? if so, how?
this is my second time building a pc by myself.. I'm not really that experienced..
Old February 2, 2012, 10:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2cents View Post
here's my story.. one day I decided to sell my old computer parts.. all of it.. excluding the Hard drive.. I figured that rather then buying a new HDD , wouldn't it be better to just use the same Hard drive instead? but unfortunately.. I have sold my old computer.. now I don't have a desktop PC to format my Hard drive. my question is :
the old Hard drive I'm planning on re-using is a Samsung spinpoint 1TB hard drive it has a windows 7 home premium installed on it. how do I format this Hard drive,delete all of it's files including win 7 home premium and install a new windows 7 ultimate without my old computer? could I just put the hard drive on my new PC build and do it there? if so, how?
this is my second time building a pc by myself.. I'm not really that experienced..
Stick drive in
Stick Windows CD in
Setup Windows and format drive
Old February 2, 2012, 11:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Stick drive in
Stick Windows CD in
^^ that. HDD & PSU are my most recycled parts. Buy good ones the first time around and they will last many rebuilds.
Old February 2, 2012, 11:27 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Stick drive in
Stick Windows CD in
which windows cd? ultimate or premium?
Old February 2, 2012, 11:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
which windows cd? ultimate or premium?
Doesn't matter. Whatever version you want to use. It'll all do the same.
Old February 2, 2012, 11:35 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Doesn't matter. Whatever version you want to use. It'll all do the same.
premium is my old os which is already installed on the hdd and also the one that I want to get rid off. ultimate is the new os i wanted to install on the hdd..replacing win 7 premium.

so I'll insert in win 7 ultimate cd into the new computer.. considering it's the one I'm planning on using. am I right?
I'm really just taking precautious steps here.. as I am new to these stuff.
Old February 2, 2012, 11:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
premium is my old os which is already installed on the hdd and also the one that I want to get rid off. ultimate is the new os i wanted to install on the hdd..replacing win 7 premium.

so I'll insert in win 7 ultimate cd into the new computer.. considering it's the one I'm planning on using. am I right?
I'm really just taking precautious steps here.. as I am new to these stuff.
Yes. And after a few steps it'll ask you how you want your drive laid out. Just format the entire drive which will erase EVERYTHING and will install the Ultimate onto it.
Old February 2, 2012, 11:43 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Yes. And after a few steps it'll ask you how you want your drive laid out. Just format the entire drive which will erase EVERYTHING and will install the Ultimate onto it.

thanks.
fast reply and best answer
P.S, sorry for late replying.. I was watching linus tech tips and motherboards.org videos on youtube.

this is a good forum. like the simple layout.

Last edited by My2cents; February 2, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old February 2, 2012, 11:52 AM
Rookie

P.S, just a note, I'm upgrading all my hardware including motherboard,gpu,cpu,etc.. does the advice you've given me can still be used?

this my last question.
Old February 2, 2012, 11:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
P.S, just a note, I'm upgrading all my hardware including motherboard,gpu,cpu,etc.. does the advice you've given me can still be used?

this my last question.
Hardware plays no role in the install of the OS. Unless your hard drive is too small