Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2012, 09:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default 2.5' SATA3 enclosure

Does anyone know of a 2.5" USB3 external enclosure that fully supports SATA3 (6Gb/s)?

I usually use Vantec enclosures but currently their 2.5" enclosures are limited to SATA2 (3Gb/s).

I've scoured the web but the only ones I could find that advertised SATA3 contained chips that only support 3Gb/s.

Anyone know of anything?
Old February 1, 2012, 06:29 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I don't know enclosures well but...

USB3 does 5 Gbit/s
SATA3 does 6 Gbit/s (-1 Gbit/s over USB3)
SATA2 does 3 Gbit/s (-2 Gbit/s over USB3)
Normal HDD does not even fill a SATA2

So unless you are using an SSD in that external enclosure and that you REALLY need that extra 2 Gbit/s, I wouldn't care and stick with a SATA2 USB3.

Gameplay > Graphics ... oh wait

Food > Gameplay > Graphics > Movies > Sleep > Work
Old February 1, 2012, 07:21 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Well here's the thing....what do you plan on using inside that box? IE are you using a HDD or SSD. If its a hdd...its doesnt matter. NO 2.5" hdd can saturate sata 3gb/s. Hell no HDD period can do it. Worse case scenario you need to use a jumper pin and stick the hdd into compabitliy mode so that it is reconginzed by the chipset. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 1, 2012, 12:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The reason I want SATA3 is that I plan to put a 120GB Force3 in it.

I realize USB3 won't reach SATA3 speeds but it should surpass SATA2 speeds.

I want the fastest external storage for my notebook.

I also realize that USB3 and SATA3 are both still fairly new but I'm surprised on one seems to make a SATA3 enclosure yet. I can't be the only one who wants to connect SSDs externally.

I guess I'll just have to wait.
Old February 1, 2012, 12:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboToronto View Post
The reason I want SATA3 is that I plan to put a 120GB Force3 in it.

I realize USB3 won't reach SATA3 speeds but it should surpass SATA2 speeds.

I want the fastest external storage for my notebook.

I also realize that USB3 and SATA3 are both still fairly new but I'm surprised on one seems to make a SATA3 enclosure yet. I can't be the only one who wants to connect SSDs externally.

I guess I'll just have to wait.
Personally putting a SSD into an enclosure is blasphemy

And USB3 hasn't taken off as much simply because aside from hard drives what is out there that requires that much speed?
Old February 1, 2012, 01:57 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Personally putting a SSD into an enclosure is blasphemy
Lol.

Actually I already have two 120GB Indilinx Vertex1s (retired from RAID-0) in SATA2 enclosures, for rugged portable bulk storage with no extra 5v taps required to spin up platters.

My reason for the Force3 is for extra highspeed storage for large program files or other large files that require fast transfers. I don't like to fill boot SSDs much beyond half capacity.
Old February 2, 2012, 09:55 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboToronto View Post
Lol.

Actually I already have two 120GB Indilinx Vertex1s (retired from RAID-0) in SATA2 enclosures, for rugged portable bulk storage with no extra 5v taps required to spin up platters.

My reason for the Force3 is for extra highspeed storage for large program files or other large files that require fast transfers. I don't like to fill boot SSDs much beyond half capacity.
Interesting concept. Will you share these program files between different computers?
Maybe it will be better to replace your notebook boot drive with bigger one?
Old February 3, 2012, 03:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldry View Post
Interesting concept. Will you share these program files between different computers?
Maybe it will be better to replace your notebook boot drive with bigger one?
My notebook is an Asus UX21E 11" Zenbook which has limited upgrade options.

I could have got the optional 240GB Sandisk SSD but if you take a look at the benchmarks in my Adata XM11 thread, you'll see why I got it instead.

Because of the UX21's size, the mSATA SSD had to have all the chips on the same side of the PCB. Adata managed to do it with an SF2281 but only up to 120 GB. Sandisk managed the 240GB but only with their own crappy controller. People were reporting Windows Experience HDD ratings of five and change for the Sandisk, compared to the 7.9 that the XM11 or any other modern SSD will score.

If you look at the UX21's internals, you'll see why it needs such a tiny thin SSD:

The thing is mostly battery with just a tiny PCB along the upper edge. It seems the RAM is under the SSD, soldered to the MB. The SSD has to be as thin as the heatpipe connecting the cooler, CPU and PCH.

As for sharing with other computers, certainly not the program files which will be linked to DLLs and registry entries on the C: drive even though they will be installed to the E: drive.

I might use it to feed ISOs to other systems, but for now I see it as an extension of my UX21 rather than as an external storage device. It affords me the opportunity to install multiple large apps such as games, and still not clog my XM11.

Of course I'll have to plug in the Force3 to run those apps, but it sure beats uninstalling and reinstalling them repeatedly. If there's one game I'm currently hooked on, I'll install it to the XM11.