Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2012, 06:33 PM
Banned

Default Creating Partition

Suppose i want to have a single c drive for os how will i create partition?
Windows 7 ultimate installing
Old January 28, 2012, 07:35 PM
Allstar

In all likelihood, when it asks just tell it what drive to use. Windows has in the past always used the entire drive (within the supported size limits of the OS) by default.
Old January 29, 2012, 10:35 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I use minitool partition wizard home edition, its a free program that works awesome with Windows 7(one of the few)

I just installed the OS, then ran MTPW home edition, created a few partitions on my 2 drives, it toook a while to get the sizes down that I wanted each partition, then I got it to do its thing, came back a little while later, all done.

The nice thing about MTPW home, is you can also move the partitions to where you want them on the driver, as an example, you always want your paging file on the "leading edge of the disk" for performance reasons, by creating a small partition for the paging file you make sure nothing else will end up on it, next partition would be the OS and so forth.

This way here you are making sure only things that should be on each partition are there, you keep performance higher, and most importantly, when it come to defragging and such, it is much faster as well.

If you have multiple hard drives, it is a good idea to have a paging file per driver, initial size 1.5x the amount of memory you have installed maximum size 3x the amount of memory you have installed, for me 8gb memory, I have the paging file size set for 11500 mb and max size 17500 with the actual partition size being a 20gb parition, and I have never had problems of it running out of virtual memory

Anways, the program for the partitions is here Free Download Magic Partition Manager Software - Partition Wizard Online this is just link to the location, not a direct download link
Old January 29, 2012, 11:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Suppose i want to have a single c drive for os how will i create partition?
Windows 7 ultimate installing
Windows install by default uses the whole disk unless otherwise specified.
Old January 29, 2012, 12:44 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Let Windows 7 take the whole disk. In my opinion it's best to let Windows 7 write the initial partition table, rather than using someone else's tool. I wouldn't want to get an XP-style alignment.

Best place for a swap partition or paging file is on it's own dedicated device. Next best place is in the middle of the spindle, not the front, because seek time is more important than transfer rate for swap, and putting it in the middle ensures you never have to seek farther than 1/2-way to get there from where you are now.
Old January 29, 2012, 04:59 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I agree with letting Win7 Setup partition the disk.

Choose custom install, advanced drive options and delete all existing partitions. If you're using an SSD Windows will properly alighn the partitions, 100MB system reserved and whatever you choose for your C: drive (usually all).
Closed Thread