Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 24, 2012, 02:02 PM
MVP

Default Computer wont post with HDD plugged in

My neighbor called me over last night for some help with his computer. He said it blue screened a couple times and now wont do anything. I turned it on, seems to get power, but no post. I checked the monitor and video card, they seem to be working. I ended up swaping in one of my spare power supplies, but left the hard drive unplugged, figured there was no need for it at this point and flick the switch and the computer posts just fine, just no drives.
I Turn it off and plug in power and sata to his boot drive and same thing, no post. Must be a short in the drive? or am I missing something here? He backs up his data to another drive, hasnt done a backup in a few months ands stands to lose some data. I found flipping the drive over it would post, still wouldnt boot however. Is there anything short of sending the drive off for data recovery that can be done for him?
Old January 24, 2012, 02:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried to install the drive on another computer (not booting from it) and just pull the files/data off of it to a usb drive or something?
Old January 24, 2012, 02:23 PM
MVP

He has a hot swap on the top of his 690 II I told him we could try plugging it in there last night, it was getting late however and we didnt get around to it. I also wasnt certain what was up with the drive and if it is shorting out if that was even a good idea. Think its fine?
Old January 24, 2012, 02:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

The drive is not shorting out.

Sounds like the drive has 100% completely failed and the controller has failed thus causing the system to not work properly. You need the hard drive put into ANOTHER machine all together to test it. Putting it into the hot swap accomplishes nothing.
Old January 24, 2012, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just take the drive and install it in another system as you would any other storage drive. Boot into windows as you normally would on that computer, then that bad drive should show up as drive D or E or F or whatever then go into it and click and drag out the fies that are needed. Hope it works for you.
Old January 24, 2012, 03:46 PM
MVP

Sorry I didnt make that clear, The hot swap is on a different machine. I'll give it a try tonight.