Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 17, 2012, 01:39 PM
Rookie

Default Uggh, I Wish I Never Got an SSD

So here is the deal. My C: drive is an SSD (OCZ Agility 3) and it holds my OS and some of the programs I'd like to start a little faster. Then my D: drive is my DVD RW, my E: drive is my virtual drive, and then I have my F: drive (1TB Seagate Barricuda) which I'd like to be my main drive (music, videos, bigger programs etc.)

The problem is, certain games/programs download automatically to the C: drive which I have no space on. So how the heck do I change the automatic install? So I was thinking maybe I could just wipe my SSD with a linux boot cd and reinstall the os, then change the regedit and then specify certain programs to install on the C: drive right? Wrong (it seems). In a ditch effort I made a programs (x86) folder and a (programs) folder on my F: drive, cut all of the programs from C: and pasted to F:, and went into windows regedit and changed the Directories. Not only did half of the files not want to transfer, but the default installation is still the C: drive and some programs want me to install them again. So if changing the default install directory to F: doesn't work then what would be the point of wiping my SSD and starting over. I feel like I am missing something because there are so many people with SSD boot drives and HDD main drives that have no problems. WTF?!

I'm legitimately half tempted to ditch my SSD and just put my OS and all on my HDD.
Old January 17, 2012, 02:06 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

LOL, funny I run same SSD as C drive and never ever had a problem, do custom installs to your storage drive, had mine for 4 months and still have 28GB left.
Old January 17, 2012, 02:35 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Like Adzsask has said, whenever you do installs for programs/downloads you need to change these locations.

For downloads there is a default downloads location which you can usually find under the options/preference of the browser of your choice (chrome, firefox, and god forbid IE :p)

For installs you have to choose custom installation you are still pretty much clicking next next next for everything except the one part where it lets you choose where to install. So instead of letting it install on your C:\Program Files\etc\etc\etc ...You'll have to choose F:\ instead and you can create some similar sub folders ie. F:\Applications\ or F:\Games\

Hope that help, good luck
Old January 17, 2012, 03:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It sounds ( looks) to me that when ever you are installing you are just clicking excitedly away at all of the buttons instead of stopping and taking the time to install where you want to install. I have an SSD that only has the basic windows stuff web browsers and email and two games . all of my doc,music, other games are all labelled in the programs games or what ever folders on a separate drive.
the thing is it can get a little tricky catching these installs . the other thing I do is I moved some things nad then created links in the same spot where they where originally installed ( my documents my music) but just take your time. I did exactly the same thing when I first bought my SSD lol.
hopefully the prices will drop even more so that Most people will have to worry about space on the SSDs anymore lol
Old January 17, 2012, 06:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well like other have said you need to pay attention to wear your installing things and have any app that downloads things to put it to your data drive your unhappy cause of your own mistakes not the ssd sorry to sound like a dick but kinda hard with your statement seeming quite silly to most here good luck wipe your ssd and just install your apps that you don't need to be fast to your data drive and enjoy the speed your ssd has to offer make sure you leave at-least leave 20% of your ssd to wear level it self k
Old January 17, 2012, 06:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

One way to do it for stuff that is already installed on your SSD is to move it and leave hard links. You can use a program like Steam Mover. I know it is for steam games but you can use it to move any folder. This will help you avoid having to do any reg hacks and stuff. I know I have used it in the past to move programs without any problems.

Old January 17, 2012, 07:04 PM
Rookie

I just keep my essential programs on ssd. Everything else goes on my normal hdds
Old January 17, 2012, 09:29 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Easiest solution... spend $1k-$2k on a 1TB SSD. But a practical solution would be to always custom install to the location you want also any downloads can easily be directed to another drive.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old January 18, 2012, 04:03 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

3 HD in mine...
64gb SSD for OS
640gb for games
2tb for storage.

I'm happy and speeds are up there all the time.
Old January 18, 2012, 08:10 AM
Rookie

You guys have little faith in me I see lol. Believe me, I'm not just clicking install like a madman. I change directories, but there were a couple of installs that didn't have a manual install location.I tried to change their batch files etc. no dice. Anyway, I think I've decided to not worry about any of it and use Intel's Smart Response Technology instead. 30gb of my ssd going toward caching and 30gb going toward programs that i really want to go fast. If I do this, my os drive will be my auto install drive right, not my 30gb ssd? Also, how the heck do I upgrade the firmware on my ssd. When I dl the upgrader it ays my ssd drive is not found (event when i use the exe file on my other hard drive)