Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2012, 08:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Dead Laptop HDD

Hello
I am in need of your vast knowledge again HWC.
My sister's laptop decided not to detect the HDD therefore I am declaring it dead after 3 hours of trying to make the laptop detect it. So I remove the HDD from the laptop and took a picture of it. Here is my first question. I know that the two connectors are SATA Power and SATA data but I don't know what the third connector is for (referring to the four pins) and is it relevant because I looked at the laptop from the inside and I can only see the 2 sata connectors and no connectors for that. Also this hdd tend to run the laptop pretty hot and I would like any 2.5" HDD that is at least 320G and runs pretty cool. Lastly is there any way I can recover my sister's data from this HDD or is it also dead with it? Oh and I have not yet tried the freezer method because there might still be hope that it might work from your suggestions.
Attached Images

Last edited by Avenger212; January 13, 2012 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Added more photos for Details.
Old January 12, 2012, 08:24 PM
Allstar

Those 4 exposed pins are probably jumper settings to may be cap capacity. Do you have an eSATA dock to plug it in? The connectors are the same as regular desktop SATA drives.
Old January 12, 2012, 09:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

DO NOT do anything with these 4pins are for power options of 3.3, 12v and factory activation.

this drive only 5v.

best spec out a SSD
Old January 13, 2012, 03:27 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thank you for the response. But how about a Seagate Momentus XT NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Online PC Discount Store, Buy Computer Accessories (old version) do you think that will work with my sister's 4year old laptop? Also is there any way I can recover the data in this old drive because I tried powering it with my rig and its not recognized by my main rig.

Last edited by Avenger212; January 13, 2012 at 03:32 AM.