Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2012, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Storage & backup options

Well, I'll be the first to admit I have been very lax in backing up data on my computers. A couple of things have spurred me on to do a better job with it. First, my computer at work shat itself and needed to be re-imaged, losing some of my documents and diagrams in the process.... I harassed the IT people stating that my home computers never had these problems, so karma kicked in and the hard drive on my wife's computer locked up ( damn you Seagate!). I have yet to successfully recover the images and documents she lost.....

I gutted her rig and gave her shiny new components instead of my hand me downs and now I would like to solicit the gurus here on a backup & storage strategy. We have a Vantec enclosure with a Seagate hdd in it, *shudder* but I am wondering what other options there are. I hear everyone talking about "home servers" but I have no clue if I need something like that, I do not have terabytes to back up. My needs are quite simple, but my wife is taking a business course so she needs to retain her data. I have two laptops and three desktops, and could build a server with the guts from my wife's last computer. All ideas and advice are welcome and appreciated.
Old January 12, 2012, 04:52 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Use one of your folding rigs as a storage server? My folding rig has a couple of WD greens in it that I have network shares on.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 12, 2012, 05:05 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Server = Raid setup. Back-up = multiple save locations. Raid does NOT equal back-up. I know. I've been caught by that.

You don't need that much storage space? 2 solutions:

1. Add a second HDD in 1 computer, make it a share for all and everyone backs up on that specific HDD. This means they also save on their primary HDD (local).
2. Build a server, with a Raid card set up for Raid 5, with 4 500Gb HDDs (viva Samsung). This will give you a level of protection and 1.5Tb of storage space. Now users can save directly to this array.

But. With either solutions you need a back-up. You buy an external, USB HDD (if you trust your Seagate, go for it), and manually back up the data monthly. Store the HDD in a safe, dry place.

I use solution #2 with 7 Sammys in Raid 6 (with a hot spare), and back-up on a USB3 WD 2Tb monthly.
Old January 14, 2012, 06:58 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I crashed my computer 2 says ago, while playing with the partitions. Lost WIN7/Linux debian installations and files. Fortunately, I had backed them up to my external Vantec with WD Green 1.5G. I used free imaging Linux software, clonzilla, and it backed up both NTFS and Linux extfs partitions. These are image backups, so you cannot read them, only used for recovery. For day to day use, I use rsync to back up my files (just files like docs, photos, music files, etc) which is convenient if I accidentally deleted a file. rsync gives you incremental backup which is fast, and you can actually read the contents. These 2 software are included in a very convenient Parted Magic package.
Old January 14, 2012, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Use one of your folding rigs as a storage server? My folding rig has a couple of WD greens in it that I have network shares on.
I am interested in how you set this up , is it a scheduled backup ?
I am currently using my main PC with a spare drive and ease us to backup my main PC but it only supports windows but it does have a scheduler, I would rather have it abale to back up both my folder and mya main pc but have know idea on how to do this.

Oh man oops sorry I kind of stole this
Old February 1, 2012, 08:17 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I currently have a nas but the hardrive died so it took my last backup shame shame, so i when ahead found a solution realtime back now i dont have to worry about anything. for only 37bucks a years - Happy face!

ZenOK Online Backup

Backup Everything. In Real Time. 2gb and 21gb free it has limitation tho.
http://free.zenok.com/
With ZenOK OnlineBackup, it's easy to store and access files online. You have plenty of storage space. Just add your important files to your online backup. Everything you choose to include will be there for you to download on any computer, simply by using a web browser.

ZenOK Backup Online | Data Warranties | Data Protection | Data Guaranteed Safe

enjoy!

here is the 65% off link for the paid online backup 37$

ZenOK Restore Activation Page
Old February 1, 2012, 11:18 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Sound good. But, what happens when it goes belly up?
Old February 1, 2012, 11:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

This is something I plan to do as well.. but I plan to actually invest into a RAID card with capacity expansion abilities so that I can start small and work bigger.
Old February 1, 2012, 11:40 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

depending on your budget you may want to just build a good server and set up a LAN for you home
Old February 1, 2012, 11:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

HPCS once they go live? I would pay some coin for my own private server on a fast connection for backups :P