Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 11, 2012, 02:40 PM
Top Prospect

Default How long should a "frozen" freshly shipped HDD rest before first use?

Hello all!

[relatively useless prologue] My system disk started dying on me lately, and thankfully I noticed early enough to backup 99.9% of the data on it (a few files compromised by i/o issues). I also decided to remove my oldest and smallest storage drive because of very poor benchmarks. Despite the ridiculous price gouging going on right now, I ordered a new performance-oriented HDD (from DirectCanada) because I couldnt stomach using one of my storage green drives for system and didnt want to rely solely on the low-end SSD Im using for smartcache. The replacement disk arrived today, but its -18C outside here and the disk felt like its been stored in the snow for the last few weeks

Initially my common sense was on medical leave, so I immediately started removing the bad disks from my system. Then I thankfully realized how cold the new one was and how stupid I would be to just put it in and boot it straight away. I let it warm up a bit for an hour by putting it in-between the two dying drives I had just removed since they were still fairly warm, then I put the new one in the tower and decided to leave it like that awhile before plugging in any power until it feels safe. I plugged in the old 'emergency box' I keep in the wardrobe to sustain my severe addiction to the Internet in the meantime :p [/relatively useless prologue]

I'd just like some thoughts about how long I should let a new HDD rest at room temperature before first powering it on, considering it's -18C outside and the disk felt so cold when I first touched it that I reflexively checked my hand for frostburn marks.

Thanks!
Old January 11, 2012, 02:44 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Condensation is going to be your worst enemy with this and to be safe I'd personally leave it overnight. then again i tend to aire on the side of caution.
Old January 11, 2012, 02:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

any peice of hardware i get i make sure its room temperature

i want to make sure there will be no condensation;)
especially on the pcb

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old January 11, 2012, 02:51 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birk View Post
Condensation is going to be your worst enemy with this and to be safe I'd personally leave it overnight. then again i tend to aire on the side of caution.
Yeah thats what I was afraid of, condensation. And if 'overnight' is enough then there's no problem at all :) A google search gave me answers ranging from 4 to 72 hours so I just wanted a bit of input. Definitely waiting till the morning, and I turned up the heat a bit in the man cave to help the process along. If that's enough, all is well.
Old January 11, 2012, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

While part of me agrees wholeheartedly that you should wait I have never had a problem when I just shove them and and fire them up and I have done it dozens of times. It really depends on your patience level and I have none, lol!
Old January 11, 2012, 04:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would leave it for 24 hours at least
Old January 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Time wouldn't be the benchmark that I would use.

When the HD felt to be near room temp then I would use it.
Old January 11, 2012, 04:59 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Time wouldn't be the benchmark that I would use.

When the HD felt to be near room temp then I would use it.
+1 on this one.

Room temp and dry.
Old January 11, 2012, 05:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
+1 on this one.

Room temp and dry.
DITTO
Old January 11, 2012, 05:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Room temp doesn't mean dry at all and there is no real way to know if its dry on the platters without voiding your warranty. I could get a hard drive to room temperature in 5 minutes if i wanted to but that by no means tells me there is no condensation.