Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8, 2012, 12:08 AM
Banned

Default Life?

How long does Corsair Force Series GT 120GB ssd last?
Is it the highest end ssd in performance discarding it's capacity?
Old January 8, 2012, 06:20 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Asking how long a ssd will last is a hard question: it depends on how much you will write on it on a daily basis. IIRC, if you were to write on it 24/7, it would last more than 3 years, so i think you can assume that 5 years is the minimum life time a ssd will give you. After 5 years, you'll want to upgrade anyway!

For the performance question, the second-gen Sandforce based ssd featuring toggle NAND are at the moment king of the hill. Mushkin chronos deluxe, vertex 3 max iops and samsung 830 are example of ssd of this kind. Remember they are also the most expensive ones!
Old January 8, 2012, 09:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
Asking how long a ssd will last is a hard question: it depends on how much you will write on it on a daily basis. IIRC, if you were to write on it 24/7, it would last more than 3 years, so i think you can assume that 5 years is the minimum life time a ssd will give you. After 5 years, you'll want to upgrade anyway!

For the performance question, the second-gen Sandforce based ssd featuring toggle NAND are at the moment king of the hill. Mushkin chronos deluxe, vertex 3 max iops and samsung 830 are example of ssd of this kind. Remember they are also the most expensive ones!
LOL, they are not the most expensive, I just bought a agility 3 60GB and was under $70 shipped, and also grabbed a 120GB mushkin chronos for $150 , when I looked at these drives a month ago the 60GB OCZ was over $125 shipped, and the 120GB mushkin was over $220 shipped. The mushkin is quicker, but i like the little OCZ it is my first and has sentimental value to me already.
Old January 8, 2012, 09:53 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
LOL, they are not the most expensive
I was checking performance charts, which featured the bigger ones (240gb and up), when i wrote my post, so my mind was on the 400-500$ and up ssd, which i consider really expensive!
Old January 8, 2012, 04:55 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
LOL, they are not the most expensive, I just bought a agility 3 60GB and was under $70 shipped, and also grabbed a 120GB mushkin chronos for $150 , when I looked at these drives a month ago the 60GB OCZ was over $125 shipped, and the 120GB mushkin was over $220 shipped. The mushkin is quicker, but i like the little OCZ it is my first and has sentimental value to me already.
An Agility 3 uses asynchronous ONFi 1.0 standard NAND. In other words, old and slow (relatively). The next step up is to synchrononous ONFi 2.0 standard NAND. The step beyond that is to Toggle NAND.

Take the same controller -- Sandforce 2281 -- and pair it with each type of NAND and you get different performance levels, and thus different prices. Since you're an OCZ customer, the progression would be Agility 3, Vertex 3, then Vertex 3 MAX IOPS.

Other companies do the same, including Corsair. Force 3 GT drives use Toggle NAND, thus the speed and price premium over Force 3 drives. However, you're unlikely to notice a speed difference in day-to-day usage.

As for endurance, that depends upon how much you write to the drive. NAND type doesn't actually seem a good indicator, however, if the widely varying amounts in this thread are any indication.