Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2012, 01:43 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

At least the PSU is only killing your dvd drive...for now.
Old January 11, 2012, 05:15 PM
Banned

btw were talking DVD drive here and not burner right ?
Old January 11, 2012, 06:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpload View Post
btw were talking DVD drive here and not burner right ?
Old January 11, 2012, 11:54 PM
Banned

Lol It is on topic Mr post count farming spammer, if you start burning like mad and don't give the drive the chance to cool down before the next burn i can fry a LG drive so fast its not funny.
The cheap DVD burners dont last long if you start beating on em imho,if you do a lot of burns all the time then get a plextor or lacie dvd burner.

And why would anyone buy just a DVD drive in this day and age, a LG combo drive only costs like $10 more.

And ya the psu came to mind too.
Old January 12, 2012, 12:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Lol It is on topic Mr post count farming spammer, if you start burning like mad and don't give the drive the chance to cool down before the next burn i can fry a LG drive so fast its not funny.
The cheap DVD burners dont last long if you start beating on em imho,if you do a lot of burns all the time then get a plextor or lacie dvd burner.

And why would anyone buy just a DVD drive in this day and age, a LG combo drive only costs like $10 more.

While Curt can get under your skin ( ha ha Curt/Mods/Members know how he can, Hugs Curt) personal attacks against Long term members is not a good way to start off in the forums. Just a kind word of advice, trust me that isnt even close to Curt on a bad day but taking it personal never works out.
If you feel that anyone's posts is offensive ect ( as per the Code of Conduct) report andlet the staff deal with it.

Anyway back OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old January 12, 2012, 05:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

If there is a problem please take it to the staff that are here. Making comments like that is not appriciated on the forums.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 12, 2012, 06:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:

You see I don't care much for people around here who go off topic or rant about stuff and is mostly blowing smoke out their ass.

While you perhaps can still still buy just a dvd-rom 99.9% of drives sold and installed are all multi drives.

Second it would take a long time to burn up a drive and they don't need to cool down. I have used cheap drives to repeatedly and successfully burn many movies with no issues.

Third while Plextor was a large contender years ago they aren't around as much as their drives are astronomical in price and aren't worth it.

Fourth if you are buying a drive these days LG and Samsung are two of the most reliable ones out there. I personally trust Pioneer drives but don't know if they are still around.

Fifth as mentioned already a bad or low end power supply can provide bad voltages to components and cause them to prematurely fail.

So if you intend to give advice around here make sure its worthwhile as members around here don't like people wasting their time having to correct misinformation. We are a friendly bunch and enjoy helping people.
Old February 24, 2012, 09:42 PM
Rookie

Alright, so it isn't the PSU, the drive (it is a burner for all the comments about a regular dvd drive), or the amount spent on either. Here is the thing, I just plugged in a lite-on that was "killed" by this same PC...it now works. However, the Asus which was also "killed" is not working still. But...that was yesterday. Today the lite-on now isn't working. The power works on both. The drive tryas open and the lights come on. With the lite-on plugged in windows sees it as drive F. But, it doesn't recognize any disks. Also the PC boots fine at the moment.

I always get the weird issues...
Old February 25, 2012, 05:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

it must be the inviroment causing failures. like pet hairs, smoke, .etc or dirty wall outlet juice