Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2012, 01:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default New High end Build, just need to replace Hard Drives!

Hi all,

I recently went all out on a high rig, but I am still using two dated lowe-end 300gb hard drives -- I'm ready to upgrade my storage components! However, I am a noob and need your assistance.

I am thinking of getting two 64GB SSD's in RAID 0 and hoping for TRIM or maybe drives that would allow TRIM in the future? I don't even know if that makes sense, but please let me know.

I would also like 1 or 2 TB of mass storage HDD's. I recently helped a family member with their new computer purchase, and selected for them:

1 x Buy Seagate [ST2000DM001] Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive
$203.50

1 x http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/234806/CT064M4SSD2/CRUCIAL%20TECHNOLOGY/Crucial M4 SSD Micron C400 64GB 2.5IN Solid State Disk Flash Drive SATA3 6Gbps
$120
Old January 4, 2012, 02:16 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

SSD should have been first on the list for high end build. What is the purpose of this PC? gaming? multi desktop? Photo/Video editing? 64GB isn't alot of room IMO.
Old January 6, 2012, 01:13 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I was thinking of 2 64 Gig's, and I am a noob but I read about RAID 0 and TRIM, and was kind of hoping to gain some sort of benefit over getting a single 128gig going this route. I would also like to employ similar tactics on the mass storage, eg. Get 2 1TB's insted of a singel 2TB drive? I actually have plenty of room for drives, as I just upgraded to a Raven 03 case. To answer your question, my pc is mainly for gaming, but not to be prejudice I want the best speed option. I do not want to sacrifice speed for security, becasue my files will not be important enough to justify a comparitive drive.

To give you a sense of the rest of the pc, I have the as rock z67 extreme 7 gen 3 motherboard, 8 gigs of memory and two 3GB 580 GTX's. These power 3 24" screens in 1900x1200 16:10 aspect ratio. I play some games in nvidia surround, and others I prefer to use 1 screen per game. However, when I use 1 screen for a game, I sometimes run a second game network on an alternate display, and the internet on the third simultaneously. I notice small sacrifice when running skyrim and starcraft and youtube simultaneously, but not much.

I know hard drives should have been included in my original build, but it didn't pan out that way. I think I will have to read more about RAID0 and Trim and SSD's in general, before I make a decision -- if someone wants to help that would be great too.

Thanks all
Old January 11, 2012, 11:51 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

So, is it best to get 2 1TB's in raido 0 and let's say a single choice 128gb ssd? Or is it better to get two 64gig SSD's?
Old January 11, 2012, 11:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

SIngle Fast 128GB SSD, and then the MEchanical Drives as Storage.

That is what I would do if I had the coin and was in your situation. Raid on SSD's is a no no in my books.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 11, 2012, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
That is what I would do if I had the coin and was in your situation. Raid on SSD's is a no no in my books.
Why do you say that ? twin 64gig ssd owns if combined with hardware based raid.

As for the other 1Tb hdd if you added one more in their {3 total} you could do raid 5.

Then add in a 120gig hdd formatted in fat32 for backup drivers and toolz ;)
Handy if you know how to work at the command-line ~ dos.
Old January 11, 2012, 05:24 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I would have to agree with the no RAID on ssd's, I believe that its because they do not support Trim in Raid 0 setups. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I built a high end gaming system for a customer with two 128GB SSD's in raid 0 and he ended up having to reformat and re-install every month or two. To be honest I could barely tell the difference when they were in Raid 0 from when he was just using 1 as a boot drive. Yes its faster but I do not know how much of that you will notice in the real world.
Old January 13, 2012, 01:36 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Intels 11.5 RST driver will support TRIM in RAID. I've heard there's an alpha version out there now, so I'm guessing the official version isn't too far off.
Old January 13, 2012, 07:15 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hi All,

So I've purchased from NCIX yesterday the kingston hyperx 120gb. It was (and is) on sale for $199.97. What do you guys think of this decision? I will now just need to decide on storage drives. :)

Kingston HyperX 120GB 2.5IN SATA3 SandForce SF-2281 SSD Solid State Disk Drive With Mounting Kit
Old January 13, 2012, 08:03 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Great SSD. To hell with OCZ and their stupid mail in rebates.