Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2012, 01:48 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Red face Help with SSD, RAID & so on..

Hi guys,
I just build a new com about a month ago, and now I'm considering to install a SSD(either 60GB / 120GB).

I'm considering one of these two OCZ AGILITY 3 SATA III 2.5" SSD OR Corsair Force Series 3 120GB
I can also afford a OCZ REVODRIVE X2 PCI-EXPRESS SSD. since it is faster.
OR is there a better option out there?

But the thing is that, am I supposed to use it as a boot drive or intel smart response technology? I don't really get the RAID stuffs.. That's why I haven't done anything about SSD yet.

Here is my com info, is it compatible & so on?
Old January 4, 2012, 01:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The revo drive would be the fastest and most noticeable upgrade, along with leaving you with extra sata ports for HDDs. But those two SSDs you listed are fine as well, it all comes down to what you want to spend i suppose.
Old January 4, 2012, 02:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

revo drive is teh way to go which the new ones support trim and 2 ssd's in raid 0 do not and if you run a new revo drive like someone has pointed out you can run a nice raid5 so you have fast data drives with a redundant back up
Old January 4, 2012, 02:24 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
The revo drive would be the fastest and most noticeable upgrade, along with leaving you with extra sata ports for HDDs. But those two SSDs you listed are fine as well, it all comes down to what you want to spend i suppose.
I see thanks! About the SSD, do I need to install it before windows? Or do I just slot it in, format & run intel smart response technology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
revo drive is teh way to go which the new ones support trim and 2 ssd's in raid 0 do not and if you run a new revo drive like someone has pointed out you can run a nice raid5 so you have fast data drives with a redundant back up
I see! Revo-drive it is then! What's the difference between raid5 & intel smart response if I may ask.
Old January 4, 2012, 02:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

intel smart response is a feature of the z68 chipset that allows you to set up an ssd and a hdd so the most used apps and data are cached on the ssd so it's very fast but you still have a large storage device all in one i think this is pointless wehn you can just run a ssd boot drive which is much faster adn then keep you data on a hdd which i would also advise you to do with the revo-drive, movies/music/pics/(games data not there install) and data of that nature should be on the hdd and put your Os adn your apps on the ssd/revo-drive

intel smart is a ssd caching feature of z68 and raid5 is speed with a redundant back up

RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old January 4, 2012, 05:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

for max results RAID 5 is not to be done if you don't have a hardware raid controller with it's own chip and memory, otherwise it will consume a lot of cpu power for all those parity calculations. Best arrangement with consumer class hardware would be SSD for boot drive, 2x7200rpm HDD in RAID 0 for apps/swap file/scratch disk and slow and large HDD for data storage.
Old January 4, 2012, 05:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
for max results RAID 5 is not to be done if you don't have a hardware raid controller with it's own chip and memory, otherwise it will consume a lot of cpu power for all those parity calculations. Best arrangement with consumer class hardware would be SSD for boot drive, 2x7200rpm HDD in RAID 0 for apps/swap file/scratch disk and slow and large HDD for data storage.
This is what i do, have 2 SSDs in raid for OS, 2 faster 7200RPM 500GB single platter drives in raid0 for applications, and 3 2TB drives for data.
Old January 6, 2012, 02:35 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
intel smart response is a feature of the z68 chipset that allows you to set up an ssd and a hdd so the most used apps and data are cached on the ssd so it's very fast but you still have a large storage device all in one i think this is pointless wehn you can just run a ssd boot drive which is much faster adn then keep you data on a hdd which i would also advise you to do with the revo-drive, movies/music/pics/(games data not there install) and data of that nature should be on the hdd and put your Os adn your apps on the ssd/revo-drive

intel smart is a ssd caching feature of z68 and raid5 is speed with a redundant back up

RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
Quote:
This is what i do, have 2 SSDs in raid for OS, 2 faster 7200RPM 500GB single platter drives in raid0 for applications, and 3 2TB drives for data.
Is it possible I install my OS on my 120Gb SSD, and use it for SRT both at the same time? Since SRT only supports up to 64Gb for caching and the remaining space may be used for data storage.
Old January 6, 2012, 02:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No you can not.
Old January 6, 2012, 07:05 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
No you can not.
Alright thanks alot guys!
I've decided to install my OS & drivers on my SSD. Install my games on my HDD. Am I doing it the right way now?