Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 1, 2012, 02:36 AM
Rookie

Default Internal HDDs cannot be accessed for small intervals

Hello,
I have 4 internal HDDs and have had this setup for about 2 months now. I had to reformat my computer this week and have since been having a problem with my hard drives.

While I am browsing folders and occasionally even using programs, my HDDs will seize up for around 5-10 seconds. One of the drives starts to make some loading noises and then eventually they begin to work again. While this is happening I can usually use the GUI that is loaded and most things loaded into RAM, however I cannot access the HDD for anything new.

One of the internal drives was originally an external drive, the Seagate FreeAgent 500GB. I suspect it may be the culprit here. I was having this exact same problem before with it; whenever I'd plug it in through USB, even if accessing another drive, I'd have the computer seize up and have to wait for it to finish making similar sounding loading noises. Removing it from the case and plugging it in internally fixed the issue completely, until I reformatted this week.

I have checked all the cache options for the drives and they are all set the same; default which is just the top option checked off. I did this as I suspected that the Seagate drive is set with the same cache options as it did when external, but it's not the case.

I did an HDD test which writes 6 billion zeroes to three 16mb files, and then reads it... no errors on all drives.

Logically the next step would be to remove the drive and see what happens. Is there anything else I should try first? I wouldn't want to lose the drive anyways, I would be looking for a way to fix it to work internally.

Here are my specs:
i7-2600k @ 4.45
GTX 580 1.25
P8Z68 V-Pro
Win 7 64-bit

SSD1: Intel 510 128GB
HDD1: Samsung HE103SJ 1TB
HDD2: Western Digital FAEX 1TB
HDD3: Seagate FreeAgent 0.5TB
HDD4: (irrelevant as problem existed before installation)

Thanks, any help is appreciated!
Old January 1, 2012, 08:10 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Just a thought do you have the drive set to spin down under power options, if so try setting the time longer.
Old January 1, 2012, 09:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

all it takes is one hard drive having access issues to cause system wide problems and lock ups. All I can suggest is to one-at-a-time unplug drives and attempt to recreate the problem. Start with the suspect drive obviously.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 1, 2012, 09:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDogZero View Post
Just a thought do you have the drive set to spin down under power options, if so try setting the time longer.
Most likely this. Mine spin down after 20 minutes of no access.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old January 1, 2012, 10:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

MarkC9

u have current BIOS for P8Z68-V-PRO BIOS Ver:1101 for i see lot of fixes for memory

also got Intel RST 10.6.0.1003 driver F6 install and run intel inf to bring chipset drivers up to date

check your HDD's cables data and power
Old January 2, 2012, 04:03 AM
Rookie

Problem was the power options with the hard drives. Thanks for the help!