Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 31, 2011, 10:34 PM
Rookie

Default SSD partitioning question

I was planning on getting an SSD to go along with my z68 system, and while I would simply use intel's smart response technology, I really don't like how the operating system is not permanently stored in the cache (like it is in the momentus xt drives). So what I would like to do is create a partition on my future ssd, in which I will be able to store my os and a few of my favorite programs, and still save aroung 20-30gb for srt.

1)Is this possible?
2)does partioning reduce performace like on a HDD? (will there be a performance hit?)
3)how would I set it up? (I already have my os on a samsung spinpoint f3)
Old January 1, 2012, 04:14 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Just use the SSD like a OS drive. Don't do any partitions on it. take out you're HDD , install SSD and do a clean Windows install on it.
RFD
Old January 1, 2012, 06:07 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by micul View Post
Just use the SSD like a OS drive. Don't do any partitions on it. take out you're HDD , install SSD and do a clean Windows install on it.
but because the ssd has limited storage, and I definitely want a clean os on the ssd, I really think that partitioning the drive and using the non-os section for cache would be great.
Old January 1, 2012, 06:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

just make sure you leave 20% fro the wear leveling to work no matter what you do. but caching a ssd is pretty pointless with the cost of ram who leaves on drive cache anyways adn if you mean to have it cache the ssd well that's pointless it wont make your ssd faster just makes it have more calculations before data gets to user
Old January 1, 2012, 09:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
just make sure you leave 20% fro the wear leveling to work no matter what you do. but caching a ssd is pretty pointless with the cost of ram who leaves on drive cache anyways adn if you mean to have it cache the ssd well that's pointless it wont make your ssd faster just makes it have more calculations before data gets to user
With the 20% for wear thing, do you mean partition only 80GB out of a 100GB drive? Or partition all 100GB but try and fill only up to 80GB?
Old January 1, 2012, 10:34 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
With the 20% for wear thing, do you mean partition only 80GB out of a 100GB drive? Or partition all 100GB but try and fill only up to 80GB?

Either way will work. I prefer to do the former and not the latter as rarely will anyone fill to "100%" a "drive"...thus giving even MORE room for the drive to work with.

IMHO you cant really ever go wrong with giving MORE spare room for the drive to work with...Of course I am "odd" in that I turn 256GB drives into "200GB" drives and then only use 170-180GB of the space so YMMV.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr